What is all this stuff?

Thread: What is all this stuff?

What is all this stuff?

What ho one and all,

Call me paranoid but I really don't like too much 'stuff' littering my os partition.

For example, whenever one installs a program, although there is a language option, about 25 gazillion languages are installed by default. I usually then delete them apart from English.

In the W7 folder, C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Licenses, there are three folders (Default, eval, OEM) that have what appear to be, all the same files. Since I only have one licence for W7 Pro, can I delete any (all?) of these?

In C:\Windows\System32, there are any number of folders with names like en-US, es-ES, hr-HR, all containking *.mui files. In many programs, these seem to be the language files so it is my guess they are for W7. If so, can I delete any that are obviously not English such as lv-LV (may be Lithuanian?)

But the real reason for starting this thread is having just found a bunch of regtrans-ms and blt files all over the os partition. I Googled and see that they are reg editing back-up files, but don't know why I would need any other than the last couple of reg edits. Certainly two month old are not needed. Again, are these safe to delete?

On a similar note, when running Dis Clean-up, why are these old files not removed?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex
    Last edited by Rekusu; April 3rd, 2021 at 09:13 AM.

Food for thought-> If it ain't broken - don't fix it.

Second food for thought - One wrong file deletion can turn your pc into a boat anchor.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Windows REALLY doesn't like users to delete system files even if they don't seem relevant to your immediate needs. As Steve suggests I would also strongly recommend leaving them as is.

when running Disk Clean-up, why are these old files not removed?
    See above.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-b10e1401274f

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information