Help message

Thread: Help message

Help message

What ho one and all,

Reinstalled my favourite back-up on the fly program (File Hamster) and I still need to work on getting it right. However, whenever I open the program, I receive this message that I don't think has anything to do with the program and I don't know ow to get rid of it.

Attachment 15467

Seems to be some kind of Windows / MS Help message, but to the best of my memory, I have not asked MS for any help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and toodle pip

Bloody brilliant; you guys rock.

Although I am not a fan of almost every program connect by default, to the internet, why would it be using IE when that is not set as my default browser?

I only discovered this happening because I am setting up File Hamster on the W7 install. Having disabled as shown, started FH, the main window appears along with the hour glass, and had to close the program via task manager. Changed the setting to Enabled, now the main window opens, no hour glass but the cursor does nothing; won't close, minimize or open any of the backup folders.

I like FH because it back-up whatever file I save on the fly. Don't know the problem with W7 and FH but is there another program that soes a similar job?
    Last edited by Rekusu; March 31st, 2021 at 02:44 AM.

why would it be using IE when that is not set as my default browser?
    Depending on what language the program was written with, it may need a control built-in to that language that uses the IE html rendering engine to work. There may not be a control available that uses whatever a particular user's default web browser might be.

SyncBack might be able to do what you want:

https://help.2brightsparks.com/suppo...n-files-change

What happens if you change the setting back to Prompt? Can you click on the Yes button on the security warning and get the program to run?

You could also try contacting File Hamster to see if they have a fix.

Another thought - does the program run if you disconnect form the internet? If yes, do you still get the warning dialog box? Make sure that the computer has NO Internet access (a web browser returns an error when you try to load https://www.google.com).

Many thanks for the info. I did not know that about SynBack, which I use regularly to sync my two hdd photo back-ups. Will invesiget.

Regarding FH, the version that I was using with XP (think it is 1.4) never had this issue, but when the same version installed with W7, different story. Have tried the latest free version and the same thing is happening. it is not such a big deal as it only happens when I activate the sys tray icon to configure the program. Otherwise, it is running in the background as intended.

I do have another issue with the W7 install (unable to make an initial revision of partition D:\; seem I have to open and clse every folder and file to create the backup!) and I have written to MOGware, but to date, no reply. Don't recall this when I originally installed FH around 15 year ago.

Can't you create the initial copy of the files either manually or with SyncBack or SyncToy? That would be a one-time issue.

A Homer Simpson senior moment. Very good idea and something I could have thought of!!!

Thread Information