Question about partitions

Thread: Question about partitions

Question about partitions

I got an SSD and I see that I have a 240GB C drive and an 8.43GB Healthy (primary partition) and a 1.09GB active recover partition. Do I really need this 8.43GB partition? Can I just use a program to merge it with my C drive. It does not say boot so it is OK to merge it or extend my C whatever the terminology is. I can download EaseToDo to do this I suppose. I got a picture here:Partitions.PNG
    Last edited by jonnyb; March 20th, 2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

The top part of that window is cut off in your image. How much used space is showing on that 8.43GB partition? Does it show in Windows Explorer as a drive?

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/usi...a-pro/lesson4/

No it does not show in Win Explorer and it is empty.

This is what I did. I cloned the HDD drive with Acronis to a SSD. I then took the original drive to my external enclosure and I used EaseUS to delete the extra partition and it looked like it combined with the C drive then. I stuck the drive back into the computer and the computer would not start but blue screened. I am glad that I made a SSD clone. So I stuck the SSD back into the computer(laptop) and it booted fine but still has the 8 GB partition on it.

An hour later a 84 year old customer called me and said he wanted to buy a computer so he can pay his bills and listen to classical music. So ha, ha, Great timing! But I never did get a chance to get rid of that partition. I should of used EaseUS to MERGE the partition not delete it. Whatcha think?

Anyhow, he will never fill up this 256 SSD in his lifetime. Not his style. It is now really fast, he's happy and I learned something.

Clone before you experiment.

So in ending, do you think if I would of merged instead of Delete that 8 GB partition that I could of still used that original drive?
    Thanks, JB

Cloning for testing is definitely the way to go

So in ending, do you think if I would of merged instead of Delete that 8 GB partition that I could of still used that original drive?
    Maybe, it is hard to say. If the partition is really empty and not used for anything, it should not have blue-screened on booting after the partition was deleted. Did you happen to make a note of the actual bluescreen error message or number? That might have been useful to look up some info on a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Cloning for testing is definitely the way to go

Maybe, it is hard to say. If the partition is really empty and not used for anything, it should not have blue-screened on booting after the partition was deleted. Did you happen to make a note of the actual bluescreen error message or number? That might have been useful to look up some info on a cause.

Yes it wasn't a real blue or black screen of death but it was the blue screen with the sideways frown on it. I don't remember the words. I tried it twice though just to be sure. I am not sure how that partition even got on that computer.
    Last edited by jonnyb; March 24th, 2021 at 12:34 PM.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information