Installing a printer

Thread: Installing a printer

Installing a printer

What a nightmare!!!!

I have a HP 4050N Laserjet printer, works just fine in XP with the Universal PCL6 software on LPT 3

But in W7, zilch, nothing, errors after error. Tried PCL5 and the same. Tried differnet PT ports but they all seem to default back to port 3.

Today, I tried the Postscript software, and blow me down with a feather, it works.

But in the Devices and Printers, I am unable to remove the non-working HP Universal PCL5 (v6.1.0) device. Or more specifically, I can remove it but it reappears.

I have tried under Printer Server Properties but the message says that the os is unable to delete it.

How can I permanently delete it?

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; March 18th, 2021 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks for the links, unfortunately, they are not the solution.

However, I did find (I hope) a solution. For whatever reason, there were a couple of non-printing files in the print queue and they would not cancel. Found that service.msc / Printer Spool, Stop then Start and that cleared the files and allowed me to delete the printer. It has not reappeared so hopefully, a reboot and it will stay gone.

I love when people post back with what worked!

You're welcome!!

Think I have managed to get it working. Under XP, I have been using the HP Universal PCL5 (v6.1.0) driver. So I tried the HP Universal PS driver and it does, more of less, what it says on the box.

Thread Information