BSOD / Memory Dump / BIOS

Thread: BSOD / Memory Dump / BIOS

BSOD / Memory Dump / BIOS

What ho one and all,

My wife has an old(ish) Dell, running XP. it is (was) running just fine as she (me?) do not add much to in these days.

With time on my hands, I cleaned the interior of dust bunnies, and in doing som unplugged and removed the two hdd. when all was done, replaced them back in the same locations.

Now when booting or reviving from hibernation, one of four scenarios happens.

It either does what is is supposed to do.
    Sometimes, it shows a BSOD memory damp; switch off, re-boot and all is fine.
    Sometimes, it goes straight to the BIOS and as her tech expert, I exit and boots as normal,
    Sometimes, it goes to the boot order option screen, select the internal hdd and it boots as normal.

Although she does say she thinks it is taking longer to boot.

I have re-plugged the hdd but still the same thing happens.

Don't understand why and how to cure it (apart from get a new computer!!!)

Grateful for any suggestions

Thanks and toodle pip

Those symptoms are consistent with the hard drive taking too long to be recognized during power up. What happens if you get it booted up and then reboot it (not shut down and reboot, but just reboot)? Does that work OK every time? If yes, that would confirm the diagnosis.

You may also want to clean and reseat the RAM.

Thanks. Did not take the RAM out to clean, but may have 'dislodged' herding the dust bunnies around.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but is rebooting the same as selecting the Restart option? I only ask becaue presumably when restarting, it does shutdown first.

I did reset the power and SATA plugs on both hdd yesterday and on the last three starting events, the problem has not reoccurred (yet.) Time will tell if this is the cure.

Is rebooting the same as selecting the Restart option?
    Yes.

Thread Information