[RESOLVED] Do you ever defrag an SSD drive?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Do you ever defrag an SSD drive?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Do you ever defrag an SSD drive?

I know you'd be shortening the life of the disk, but by how much? If it's not worth it, why did we ever do it before?

Thanks - rev

You defrag HDs, not SSDs. What do you mean before?

The amount of wear depends on the drive, but there is no benefit to defragging SSDs.

https://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-t...-state-drives/

Don’t Defragment

You shouldn’t defragment solid-state drives. The storage sectors on an SSD have a limited number of writes — often fewer writes on cheaper drives — and defragmenting will result in many more writes as your defragmenter moves files around.

What’s more, you won’t see any speed improvements from defragmenting. On a mechanical hard drive, defragmenting is beneficial because the drive’s head has to move over the magnetic platter to read the data. If a file’s data is spread out over the drive, the head will have to move around to read all the little pieces of the file, and this will take longer than reading the data from a single location on the drive.

On a solid-state drive, there’s no mechanical movement. The drive can simply read the data from whatever sectors it resides in. Solid-state drives are actually designed to spread data around the drive evenly, which helps to spread out the wear effect — rather than one area of the drive seeing all the writes and getting worn down, the data and write operations are spread over the drive.

OK. I won't do it. I'd forgotten about the mechanical aspects. Thanks.

Thread Information