Microsoft giving me updates for products I don't have.

Thread: Microsoft giving me updates for products I don't have.

Microsoft giving me updates for products I don't have.

I only have Word on this computer. Did an Update for all Microsoft products and I got some Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, One Note, Script Editor, InfoPath. And what's with this Adobe Flash Player? Isn't that gone now?

Anyhow I don't like Microsoft putting all this stuff on my computer for their own stupid reason and filling up my registry with crap I will never use. I don't need this stuff, I hardly even use Word, it's more stuff to go wrong, it's more stuff to scan for when doing a virus scan or defrag. Why is Microsoft setting me up for something I cannot use? Are they just setting themselves up on my computer for their own gain?

What's with these guys? There is no place for me to checkmark that I don't want these during an update. They should not be putting more work into my computing like: Me trying to figure out what they are doing, me trying to uninstall these things, and making me do research to see why they are doing these things.

Do I go to Microsoft and give them a shovel and rake and say that they need this, so take this even though they don't want it?

Is this a control thing?

Anyone know the real answer for this? I don't need any shared crap for my office either.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

The Adobe Flash update was the one that removed Flash.

Even though you only have Word installed, there are Office components that are shared between Office applications that you may need updates for even if you don't have the other Office applications installed.

Is this a control thing?
    Yes, yes it is. Unfortunately, Microsoft believes that they own your computer and all of your files. Microsoft updates have become a huge pain. However, since Microsoft does not test any of their software, security patches are needed to prevent hackers from accessing things. If you use Microsoft software, that is an unfortunate fact of life.

I have Office '07 on the machine in question. I was told that they were not giving updates to this Office program any more. Anyhow I got 'em two days ago.

Thanks
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

I am with you bro!!!

I hate any of my software updating automatically; and that include Firefox. Some updates prevent add-on working because the add-on is not updated. Really bugs me.

So whenever I install anything, I go to settings and disable automatic updates, and the includes all MS / Office / W7 updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    I have Office '07 on the machine in question. I was told that they were not giving updates to this Office program any more. Anyhow I got 'em two days ago.

Thanks
    I use Libre Office, a free open-source suite you can download. You don't have to worry about malware, M$ or updates. I believe I downloaded only Writer. Even if you use only Writer (the equivalent of Word,) the other components are smaller than Ms Office. And the docs are compatible with Word.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information