Google Earth

Thread: Google Earth

Google Earth

What ho one and all,

Don't know if this is software, internet or W7 so will start with software.

On my XP disk, I have the version of Google Earth that still runs on XP. It fires up quickly and does what it says on the box.

In my W7 install, I have installed a newer version GE Pro. It take forever to boot but once up and running, seems fine. Because I don't like the time to boot, I uninstalled and tried an slightly older version.

That installed fine, but now I get a 'failed to connect to images' message and and there is no earth. Uninstalled and tried again with the previously working Pro, only to get the same message. The 'on-line' solution does not provide any solution, only how to use GEP.

How do I get it working, particularly as it was sorta working but not now?

As an aside, what is the difference between running in Direct C or Open GL modes?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

You may have to resort to searching for all Google Earth installed files and removing them, and dredge through the registry to remove any Google Earth entries to get the installer that once worked to work again. I would advise making an image backup first, in case of unforeseen issues. In fact, it is usually a good idea to make an image backup before attempting to install any software, again in case of unforeseen issues.

Agreed about the image creation. As I am spending too much time trying to build a W7 install, I am making more images than I normally would. Along with System Restore Points.

But I did not think there would be any issue with Google Earth. Actually, the first version of GEPro I installed was working but it takes around 2 mins before is is operational. Think it was the internet connection as a very fuzzy globe appears and very, very slowly resolves to a sharp globe and very, very slowly, zooms into my default location. After that, it was fine.

The older GE on my XP install just works with minimal delay.

Will search the reg for leftovers.

FYI - Tools-> Options-> Navigation tab "Fly to Speed" is where you can adjust the startup screen.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information