[RESOLVED] Can't login to laptop, cap key stuck, then when tried to logon, couldn't enter my Pin

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't login to laptop, cap key stuck, then when tried to logon, couldn't enter my Pin

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't login to laptop, cap key stuck, then when tried to logon, couldn't enter my Pin

This is my Sister laptop, caps key stuck, we finally got that to unstick, now she can't logon to her Windows 10...She has HP laptop...We tried running system repair, but she still couldn't add anything in the box...She made sure number lock wasn't on, so that is not the problem.. We also did a restore to previous time, it succeeded, but still could not add her Pin number... What else could keep her from adding her Pin in order too logon to her laptop?? Thanks for any and all help..

Thanks, patti686

Did you try a USB keyboard?

She don't have usb keyboard, but I did have her go to access and click on keyboard, and she got in, but when she tried to logon with her reg keyboard it wouldn't let her put numbers in again.. So its her keyboard, should I have her to update her keyboard or anything else I can try?

If anything, you could try reseating the keyboard cable. You'll have to look up the model number, so we can see if there is a disassembly guide.

I would get/borrow a USB keyboard and see if that works. If so, then it's probably a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    If anything, you could try reseating the keyboard cable. You'll have to look up the model number, so we can see if there is a disassembly guide.

I would get/borrow a USB keyboard and see if that works. If so, then it's probably a hardware issue.
    Ok I will see if I can find a usb keyboard... Thanks Midknyte

If you do not have a wired keyboard, then you can try using the virtual keyboard, which is built into Windows itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranklerof View Post
    If you do not have a wired keyboard, then you can try using the virtual keyboard, which is built into Windows itself.
    I got a USB keyboard and mouse.. the keyboard is bad, it worked fine with USB keyboard.. I also tried the reinstalling of keyboard...I guess I will order new keyboard...

Thanks for reply....

I ordered new keyboard and it won't work either?? I am about to throw this pc away... I tried updating, no help, so I uninstalled, no help... I ran a HP diagnostic on it, it passed without showing anything correct...Bad diagnostic...I got in touch where I bought the new keyboard, he said since it is doing same as bad keyboard, something else is causing the problem.. I would be so happy to find the problem...ANYONE have any ideas on what to do next? Thanks in Advance... patti686

If the keyboard is OK, or a new keyboard has the same issue, it is possible that the ribbon cable and/or connectors that connect the keyboard to the motherboard may be the problem. Check for any damage or corrosion.

If nothing else, you could just continue to use it with a USB keyboard and mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If the keyboard is OK, or a new keyboard has the same issue, it is possible that the ribbon cable and/or connectors that connect the keyboard to the motherboard may be the problem. Check for any damage or corrosion.

If nothing else, you could just continue to use it with a USB keyboard and mouse.

How would I make sure it is connected to motherboard? I made sure the ribbon on back of keyboard was attached, is that what you mean? If it is a hardware problem, how can I check for that? Sorry to be so dumb....Is there anything I can download to check on hardware problem?
    Thanks for replying....patti686

It depends on what type of connector it has. Some have plug, others have an bare end that you have to plug in or clamp. It really depends on the make/model. You can try looking up an installation video on Youtube for that specific laptop model.

I don't know if any downloads that would be able to check a bad keyboard port on a laptop. It's most likely a physical issue with the cable or port, assuming you installed the new keyboard correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    It depends on what type of connector it has. Some have plug, others have an bare end that you have to plug in or clamp. It really depends on the make/model. You can try looking up an installation video on Youtube for that specific laptop model.

I don't know if any downloads that would be able to check a bad keyboard port on a laptop. It's most likely a physical issue with the cable or port, assuming you installed the new keyboard correctly.
    Thank you for your help....I will see what I can do...

I found the problem....I forgot to take plastic covering off the keyboard ribbon, so when I removed that it started working... just wanted to let you know...Thanks for all the replies....

Thread Information