Laptop stalls with "ntoskrnl" - System-URGH!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop stalls with "ntoskrnl" - System-URGH!!

seems i may have found out what is causing my system to get crazy.
    normally I do not open up my laptop when I use it I have a monitor connected to the HDMI port and also wireless keyboard wireless mouse so very rarely do I ever even restart the computer because it is up on a shelf.

today I had to take the laptop off the shelf I disconnected the monitor etc and brought it into my bedroom to use it and now when I boot up Windows the system freezes where the black screen and now tells me that there's a system fan failure and it's classified as a 90B and boy it gave me the link to HP troubleshooting site and it says that the system fan may need to be replaced or that there's overheating because it doesn't have good ventilation. this may be what has been causing my sister act up. sitting on the shelf the vents are not blocked but there is dust.

I'm going to borrow my friends laptop fan it's the fan where you place the laptop on top of an events so it's between the laptop and the desk the fan fits.

I am a little bit unsure which fan I need to order for my laptop at the beginning of this post is my laptop model etc.

if somebody could please assist me in sending me a link to the fan that I need such as on Amazon or another website I would appreciate it. I have no other computer to do this with other than my phone and is very difficult for me to use my phone because of my eyesight. I am 65 years old

assistance would be very much appreciated

actually now I see that my system is not on this link thread

it is a HP ENVY TOUCHSMART 17 NOTEBOOK PC
    Model: m7-j020dx Had to use a magnifying glass to read it

thank you kindly
    Last edited by question2012; April 10th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.

I've seen a number of laptops that have overheated because of dust in the internal heat sinks even when they appeared to be clean at first glance. I'd give it a good blow-out either by lung power or preferably using a dedicated dust blower before I spent money on a new fan. In a laptop fans suck air in and then over the heat sinks so start by blowing well in that direction and then the other way. Repeat it a few times.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

If the fan really does need to be replaced, which is still a good possibility, here are some links:

https://www.amazon.com/TouchSmart-m7.../dp/B01M6UJF4G

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...n/td-p/6257241

Hey thanks Fink. I tried to blow it out really well and maybe it did some good. All I know is I got really dizzy blowing on it so hard.

It seems that some times it can boot up and some times it can't with the 90B fan error I get. If I try to force it to continue to bootup from the 90B it may or may not bootup.

sometimes it boots up without any problem at all. I here and there feel the vent area for the fan to see how hot it may be.. I have it propped up on a few things so the air circulates around and in it better. So far it is not getting that hot. There was a lot of dust on that shelf and I have not moved the laptop in weeks - as I said I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse hooked up to it and use those instead of the onboard monitor, mouse, keyboard.

I am going to go to the office today and grab a can of air I have there for the PCs etc in the office. Give it a good blow out. I'll make sure it is unplugged, off and the battery out as the can of air has moisture sometimes. I let it dry out good before I start her up again.

I am going to buy a new CPU fan for it. I am trying to find one which won't take 3 weeks to get here. Many are shipped from China. My housemate buys car parts alot from China and there is always a big delay for one reason or another. I don't have the time to wait for the fan to arrive. Even if I have to pay more for it and pay for shipping.

I am also going to buy today a pedestal fan to sit between under the laptop and the desk/shelf. This should help circulate the air better until the fan gets here.

I downloaded the manual for repairs to help me with changing out the fan. I just have to buy the correct type of screwdrivers needed. My house mate has some but not the exact size.

I just want to be sure that I am looking is the proper replacement CPU fans for my laptop. If the fan is a replacement for "m7-j020dx" I have seen some online that state for "m7-j" is this the same fan as for the "m7-j020dx". I would think the "m7-j" is the series.

You could try calling nearby computer repair shops to see if they have one in stock. Have a look around to see if any specialize in HP computers for better odds.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the suggestion Fink of calling a comp repair store. Problem - I live out in the boonies. Walmart of HDepot is 35 miles one direction. Only computer repair shop near me (48 miles) will only sell parts they install.

I am not so worried about waiting the few weeks for a CPU fan to come in. I ordered this laptop cooler pad fan so it should help and it will be here tomorrow. This should be able to keep the laptop CPU cool enough until the replacement fan arrives.

I have to say I think the problem with this laptop was hardware but not the drive. It was the CPU fan.

Ever since I got my cooler pad (image attached) I really have not had any problems with the disk going to 100% for so long all the time.

I have not replaced nor ordered the CPU fan yet. I wanted to see what this cooler pad would do first. It seems to be doing the trick.

Besides the disk going to 100% so often and for anywhere from 4-8 minutes and it taking almost 35-45 minutes to boot up before the disk would settle down enough for me to even use the laptop I really believe this cooler pad did the trick.

I think I will order the CPU fan and install it anyway. I hardly ever take my laptop off the shelf where it sits on top of the cooler pad but for the few times I do I guess best to replace the CPU fan.

I don't think I will at this time sub Linix for Windows or even try using Linix. I want to try going forward a bit longer with using this cooler pad and replacing the CPU fan.

Let's see how I do with this cooler pad and when I change the cPU fan. If it starts to act up again I will try installing Linix on a USb driver.

Thank you for your suggestions and links - it is really appreciated!!

I have also transitioned basically to Ms Edge from FireFox. That also seems to have helped.

I have to keep Thunderbird for my email client as I have a few Gmail email addresses and I don't like the Gmail email interface.

Attachment 15481

Update as of: May 4 2021

So far the laptop is running like a charm since I started using the cooling pad. I leave the laptop up on the shelf ontop of the cooling pad and it runs 24/7. No problems so far.

No more of the disk holding at 100% for so long out of the blue and the boot up is so much faster now.

Still waiting on the CPU fan to arrive but in the meantime I keep the laptop on the cooling pad. It's three cooling fans really keep my laptop down in temp. I bought a nice tool kit off of Amazon to use to switch out the CPU fan.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this issue.

Thread Information