Laptop stalls with "ntoskrnl" - System-URGH!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop stalls with "ntoskrnl" - System-URGH!!

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Really appreciate it a lot!!

Well it appears the only course of action for me to take now is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Guess I am stuck with Thunderbird at this point. The alias part is important to me as my work email deals with that.

I was thinking about going to Chrome from Firefox.

Will take me some time before I can do it (time wise) but I will report back when done.

You should probably install Chrome or a Chrome-based alternative, however, Chrome itself is, at present, bloated and slow. I am currently using Firefox.

You can try my suggestion of running a live Linux CD first to see if you get the same symptoms. If you do, that would save you a re-install, as it would indicate a hardware issue.

Did you run any hardware diags on the RAM and HD?

MidKnyte I ran Seagate Seatools on the hard drive. I would not know what tool to use for RAM.

jdc2000 - I had no idea what Linux even was until I just did a quick read-up on it. From what I gather it is an operating system which can be used instead of Windows. I am assuming that you want me to install and run linux from the CD drive so that I can boot up on Linux and run it off the CD. This is so that I don't have to wipe my hard drive (format) and then install and run Linux just to find out it was hardware issues causing my system to lock up on the 100% disk issue with "system" mainly.

From what I read about the difference versions of Linux it says:
    "For hardware that is two to four years old, try Linux Mint but use the MATE or XFCE desktop environment, which provides a lighter footprint. " where as you told me to install Cinnamon. I am assuming that you want me to use Cinnamon so my hardware will get a good workout to see if it truly is a hardware issue.

Before I go any further with this Linux I'll wait for some response so I know I am on the right track with my thinking. As I said I until just a little while ago had no idea of what Linux was but have heard of it.

I would think that not all software that runs on Windows will run on Linux??

I think all i have onhand are DVD blank disks and no CD blanks. Can I use a DVD blank to write Linux to or do I need to buy CD blanks?

You can make a live Linux disc with a blank DVD. You do not have to install it, you can run it from the DVD. If it is stable, that will let you know if you have a hardware of software issue with your Windows installation. Since this is a test disk, and your hardware is not that old, the Cinnamon desktop is still the one I would recommend. It will run slower when run from the DVD, but you are not really trying to get a lot of actual work done, so it should be just fine.

If you were actually going to install Linux, you could install WINE, which would let you run quite a lot but not all Windows software, however, for a test, just using the included Firefox web browser should be enough to let you know if you have hardware issues.

Thanks for the info jdc

I understand better now your reasoning with versions of Linux.

I will give it a go some time within hopefully this week as I have time to sit and concentrate on it.

Crossing my fingers

Thanks again for your help

One more thing I need to know please. Running Linux from the DVD - Will I be booting up from the DVD in this case (will Linux be bootable)? I just want to know so I can set my BIOS to boot from the DVD before it boots from the hard drive.

Yes, you will need to set your DVD drive first in the boot sequence to run the live linux system. You can leave it first after that since it will be ignored if there's no disc in it during subsequent boots.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Got it - Thanks Fink!

P.S. Fink
    I clicked on your link of "Cat lovers click here". I am a cat lover. I rescued one female (unfixed) from my neighbors about 3 years ago. Domestic short hair (Tiger). She kept coming to our house because she was living with two male unfixed cats and two unfixed male dogs. Neighbor finally gave in and let me buy her from him. It was his little daughters cat so my money helped him buy her another cat-she was happy. I also adopted a domestic short hair white and tabby (about 1 year old) female fixed from a local shelter back in Nov last year. At the same shelter we adopted a 2 year old American Tereir PitBull about 5 years ago. They all get along great. The 3 of them eat out of each other's bowls without complaints. The cats stay inside - pitbull runs our big back yard.
    Last edited by question2012; March 22nd, 2021 at 02:24 PM.

I clicked on your link of "Cat lovers click here"

The cats stay inside

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Starting to work on this now.

Suggested I run on DVD Linux Cinnamon desktop (Post #20) to see if any issues with hardware before I wipe hard drive and reinstall windows due to high disk useage for "ntoskrnl".

Two questions

1st question
    Do I download directly to the DVD or do I download to the hard drive and then during installation tell it to install on the DVD. If to DVD can I install to the DVD which is actually writing to the DVD? I have never done an install to a DVD before.

2nd question
    I am supposed to use Linux Cinnamon desktop. When I search for this I get so many variations. I don't know what to download and install. Example: Mint Cinnamon. Something about Ubuntu and other things which of course I have no idea what they are talking about. Can someone please provide me with a link to the actual download. I am concerned I may download something wrong and mess things up even more.

Thanks

The download link is below:

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=281

I usually download from the Harvard University link on that page.

The download file is an .iso file. You download that to your hard drive, and then create a DVD from the .iso file.

How to make a DVD from an .iso:

Insert a blank CD or DVD in your writable optical drive.
    Right-click on the ISO file and select "Burn disk image."
    Select "Verify disc after burning" to make sure the ISO was burned without any errors.
    Click Burn.

Thanks JDC2000 for your detailed instructions. Following them was no problem. I downloaded Linux to my hard drive without problems. Went to burn it to a DVD and I guess my DVD component is not functioning correctly. No matter what DVD +R blank I put in the drive and attempt to burn to the DVD Windows does not seem to accept the burn. It recognizes the DVD player/burner in Explorer and shows me it has 4.8 gigs available of the 4.8 gigs blank DVD but it tries to format the DVD and it just keeps trying and trying. I have tried about 4 times and it does the same thing. It won't complete the format. I did not tell it to format the DVD it started when I went to burn the iso file to the DVD. Also, what the heck is "Express Burn". Is this the DVD burn program packed with Windows? It asked me to purchase it. I have not burned a DVD in about 6 years on this laptop. Nor have I even used the DVD player in that amount of time. I guess my DVD player/burner is shot. It does not recognize any DVD I put in it. It will accept the DVD itself but not show what is on the DVD in Explorer. Wonderful another thing I have to worry about now.

Meantime, I can't burn the DVD to run Linux now. Can I write the iso to a USB drive and boot from that to run Linus? If so how do I do it properly other than just copy the iso to the USb drive.

I am just ready to trash this laptop. it is 8 years old now. It takes forever to boot up on a restart or power-up from a shut down - about 10-15 minutes before I can even use it. I posted this issue here ---> https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...all&highlight=
    but it is still just as bad and takes forever to boot up.

I just can't afford any other computer at this point. So I have to try and get this going so I can use it without it freezing up all the time out of the blue with that "System" 100% Disk Usage.

so now I have to try and get into my BIOS to check the boot sequence. Good luck on that because it takes forever for my system to boot up. I don't know if it is a F8 or F12 to enter the bIOS. I did a search of this laptop online to find out but don't see anything. HP Laptop Model: m7 j020dx

Urgh!!

Thanks for the links. I will take a look at them.

Have a good holiday.

Thread Information