GPU for W7

Thread: GPU for W7

GPU for W7

What ho one and all,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with currently a Raedon X1300/1550 GPU installed. It has been working fine with XP but is out-dated for W7 and I can only find legacy drivers, and that may be affecting my resolution (tiny, almost unreadable text) issue. I know I don't have a large PSU but from what I have read, unless I am playing games (not going to happen) the existing PSU should be fine. Is that correct or not?

I have been looking for an alternative budget gpu with the help of my friend, Mr Google that will have current drives for W7. Not doing games, only Photoshop so assume there is not a large power demand.

All I see is a lot of letters and numbers (Raedon HD 6570; nVidia GeForce GT 440; 8600GTS; etc.) I have no idea what I am looking at in terms of a reasonable, budget model that will hopefully, improve things.

And mention of CCC and DotNet 4.5. I current have CCC but have no idea what it does.

Grateful for any advice,

Thanks and toodle pip

TomsHardware.com has huge data where they compare various parts including video cards....

Find your card on one of the lists and see what's a little better - and if you can still find one to purchase and what drivers etc...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Newegg has some decent replacement graphics cards to check out:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%20600419828

A GT 700 series or a GT 1030 would be plenty good enough.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the links. I think NewEgg is all US based and I am in the UK but can still source most items.

Am I correct in understanding the any GPU will fit and work, the more expensive having more RAM and faster processor? therefore presumably, a less expensive model with only 1 or 2 gb RAM and slower processor just means that it is OK for non-time consuming jobs with PhotoShop but probably not good for high level games?

For games you are going to want a faster video card with more memory, so more expensive. The only other consideration would be to make sure that you can get drivers for your version of Windows. Check the specs and the manufacturer's web site for that.

Thanks; the only games I occasionally waste my time with are Sodoku and Mahjong Tiles. doubt that either are too much of a drain on GPU resources!

Would definitely ensure that W7 (and probably W10) drivers are available before purchase.

Thread Information