Text colour

Thread: Text colour

Text colour

What ho one and all,

I am finding with the W7 install, that virtually all text, and particularly online, is gray and not black. Searching Google and I find that I am not the only one to dislike the lack of contrast. Apparently, it is as a result of various anti-antilizing features that add extra pixels to the edges, etc, etc, etc.

I do not find this an issue with XP, all on-line text appears solid black. Is there a way to implement the test rendering of XP in W7?

Even though this says Win 10 - it should be worth reading:

How to change the Desktop font color in Windows 10
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/chang...-in-windows-10
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the replies. I have been through the Clear Type and does not really make much noticeable difference. Searching with Mr Google, I see from many years ago, that I am not the only one who thinks the on-line fonts are grey rather than black.

In my XP installation, they certainly look more black, defined and easier to read. But I also see similar questions with no answers to why are W7 icons, in virtually every program, soft and fuzzy? None of the icons have the 'sharpness' that I have in XP. I use PhotoShop quite a lot and the icons (and fonts) look to me like thy have had a 1 or 2 pixel defocus filter applied.

Fuzzy is the new black.

If Fuzzy is the new black, can you give me the Panetone reference number?

Have not tried with ClearType off, and I don't know what is set with XP, so guess I will just have to accept it.

Are you sure you installed the latest video card drivers? What video card do you have?

What monitor are you using? Are you using the native resolution?

My monitor is a Dell 2007WFP UltraSharp and I have had it since I bought the computer with XP, X years ago.

As for the video card, if that is the same as a GPU, I know nothing about whatever they do. I have never had any desire to play games and the only reason i could see for an 'improved' GPU was for PhotoShop use. So I bought a minimal GPU, Raedon X1300/1550.

It is not seen by the W7 files and is no longer supported with W7 drivers, so I have the legacy driver installed for W7.

Yes, I am using the native resolution; if I reduce it, everything looks too large and even more fuzzy, particularly the icons on everything.

I was going to post a photo of W7/Edge font and XP/Firefox font, but when I compared, they do pretty much look the same, so may be I am biased toward XP because I still like it.

I do feel there is something about the way the on-line content is rendered because the text I am imputing for this answer with XP, does look black and sharp with no gray gradient between the edge of the letter and the white background.

As for the fuzzy icons, that seems to be a programmer design choice. On the desktop, the native W7 icons appear to me, 'soft.' I have replaced with some XP icons from an install alternative shell.dll and they look le the XP icons, sharp and clear.

There is another issue with the resolution. On XP, I have Google Earth and it works fine. The menu bar and dropdown menus are all the standard font size with the XP native resolution.

With W7, yesterday, I installed a newer version of Google Earth and the menu bar and dropdown menus are sharp but so small, I have to get closer to the screen to read clearly. Basically, the font is very, very small.

Given the screen resolution is the same for both OS, I don't understand why there are so many differences in font size.

I have the legacy driver installed for W7
    The legacy driver from AMD? Exactly which driver set did you use? I think the last Win7 drivers were the Catalyst 10.2. You could try those.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-(64-bit).html

I don't use Google Earth, so I can't really help you there.

Thread Information