Office 2003 / Outlook

Thread: Office 2003 / Outlook

Office 2003 / Outlook

What ho one and all,

Building a W7 install and trying to get an e-mail program that is as simple and elegant as OE6 is / was.

Having installed Office 2003, Outlook kinda does what I want. However, having set it up to the GMail defaults, it always send my mail, but 'jams' on incoming, usually with a message that the p/w needs authorising or something similar.

After X resetting attempts, the incoming will arrive. But the next time, I will encounter the same problem.

Am I doing something wrong and if so, what?

Thanks and toodle pip

Post a screen capture of the error you are getting so we can see the exact message. There may be a configuration setting that needs to be changed. Also, what email provider are you using?

What about Thunderbird?
    https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

I just use Gmail through my browser, but Thunderbird works with Gmail.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...bird-and-gmail

Thanks for the links, etc. I am a OE6 fan as I prefer to have my e-mails saved on my computer rather than only in the cloud.

In upgrading to W7, I have tried a number of mail programs, inc Thunderbird. I may have to accept what I don't like!!! I was not taken with TB and have not yet tried to import my *.wab file addresses, if it is even possible.

The best and simplest to date is OE Classic; can live with the 'childish' interface but then found the free version only spell checks the first word! As I would probably getting it form my wife as well, £25 per program seems a bit steep to check the spelling.

On my XP hdd, I have been using Office 2000 for Word/Excel and Outlook, only because I like the PIM user interface. I am not using it for e-mails at all.

But the W7 install, Office 2003 Outlook for e-mails seems to be a way forward. Whatever I was doing now appears to be corrected and it does send and receive without problems. I had the correct GMail in/out/password, etc so can only conclude that computer had 'learnt.'

Which brings up the next challenge. I see that I can import into Outlook 2003, my Office 2000 *.pst files so the PIM should be OK, but can I import the *.wab files from OE6? Likewise, can I import the OE6 saved e-mails and folders?

Have not tried yet and have not done the research so apologies if the answer can be found on the web.

Thanks for the links. I guess there was a reason the MS made upgrading so 'easy(!)'

I don't even think finding and understanding the W7 Contacts is so easy; why does it not display as a PIM style list. I guess I now have to export the files to a csv and then import into Outlook 2003?

But of bigger concern, my *.wab files are set in mailing groups (folders), as well as everything in Main Identities. Importing combines everything into one folder. Can I import into Outlook 2003, my mailing folders rather just one long list?

For the .wab files, you may want to consider exporting the .wab file to a .csv file, then, import that .csv file into Excel, and export the groups you want to other .csv files that you can then import into Outlook wherever you want them.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/chan...csv-43946.html

https://support.postbox-inc.com/hc/e...ook-wab-files-

https://kb.iu.edu/d/ajxv#:~:text=Exp...ile%20a%20name.

Thanks for the links. I have only ever backed-up my Address book with wab files, since that is the native extension for WAB.

Presumably, if I back-up each WAB group as a seperate csv, including Main Identities, then when imported into Outlook 2003, the same groups will be complete.

I did try one of the dbx to pst converters and it worked well, but as a trial, it only did the first ten contacts in the list. And of course, free is preferable so will try again with csv.

Gentlemen,

Sorry to continue flogging a 'dead horse.' Don't know what I did, but in installing and uninstalling one thing and/or another, somehow, today, my disk with Office 2000 installed with Word and Excel both working as they should.

Outlook is a slightly different matter as I am currently unable to import the Contact pst file from the back-up, made under XP. The problem may be that my back-up is called Contact(date).pst. I see that in the default install location, there is an Outlook.pst file.

If I rename the backup as Outlook.pst and copy/paste to the default location, am I likely to have access to everything in Outlook? As an aside, I only use Outlook as a PIM, mainly because I like the interface.

Sorry to continually be flogging the dead horse but there is still a bit of life left.

This attachment; the left is my WAB file when opened in OE6 / XP, create mail. I have the option to select any of the groups and they will be listed on the right pane.

The right image is the WAB within Classic OE6 in W7. Again, Create Mail, but only the Main Identity contacts are showing, none of my groups are displayed. However, if I open WAB (rather than wanting to select a recipient) from the OE6 toolbar, all the groups are listed along with their contents in the right pane.

Attachment 15456

It may be just a glitch in a probably not fully legit OE6 hack, or there may be a workaround like a reg hack. I have had a look into the reg but have no idea what i could be looking for.

Of course, a reinstall may cure the issue, but that is my last resort.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks and appreciate the and suggestions.

Rex
    Last edited by Rekusu; February 28th, 2021 at 07:38 AM.

Those user interface panels are completely different, with a different organizational structure. However, I notice that there is a Combo Box (box with a downward pointing arrow) that may allow you to select different groups. What happens when you click on the drop down arrow next to "Main Identity's Contacts" on the user interface panel shown on the right side of your image? What, if anything else, appears on the drop down list?

Nothing. The right image with the Main Identity drop-down, only has the two listings, Shared Contact and Main identity. In the XP original OE6 and in the W7 Address Book, when opened from the OE6 Inbox (but no twhen Creating Mail) lists all groups which I can click to see all the memebers of those groups (deos that make sense?)

Thread Information