Disk Check

Thread: Disk Check

Disk Check

What ho one and all,

Attempting to 'build / install' W7 onto a new HDD but to continue using the computer, I have XP on another HDD and swap as and when necessary.

When Disk ) in in place, I have a total of 3 HDD with a number of partitions. Whenever I start the W7 install, it wants to, and does, check all the partitions for errors. It does find a couple, but they are not present with the XP HDD.

Having checked once, why does it do it every time? Uncertain how to get the check done once and all is good.

Many thanks

Rex

If you didn't use the Win7 setup to partition/format the drive, then that could be the problem. A typical Win7 setup creates 2 partitions, boot and system.

I have a system that does the same thing. It is a dual boot with 1 hard drive that has XP and one that has Windows 7. If you boot the Windows 7 drive with the XP drive connected, you get the disk check warning for the XP drive.

It is not dual boot, it is two separate HDD; my long-time use XP with a number of partitions, inc D: MyDocs, and the second HDD for W7 with only two partitions, the OS (100gb) and around 130gb which is currently empty.

I have three HDD installed; one is exclusively for photo storage. There could be an issue due to XP reading each drive letter the way I have it set up, but because the W7 HDD has a number of partitions missing, it re-assigns the drive letters on the other two HDD. But that assumes the partition drive letters are stored in the BIOS and W7 is getting the wrong information.

While building my W7 OS, may be it would be an idea to reassign the partition drive letters to be the same as the XP OS?

But additionally, based upon the above info, I cleaned and formatted the drive with two partitions, prior to installing W7, so that could be the cause?

Because installing the programs that I want is proving a challenge and they sometimes are not working the way I would like (don't know how many times I installed / removed my Wacom tablet files to find the version that actually works), I am considering re-installing W7 from scratch to ensure there is no unnecessary junk in the reg and elsewhere and then install the programs that I know are working. If I do this, I will format the HDD with W7.

Thanks for the advice.

(Lockdown, social isolating and winter provide a lot of spare time!)
    Last edited by Rekusu; January 27th, 2021 at 09:02 AM.

But that assumes the partition drive letters are stored in the BIOS and W7 is getting the wrong information.
    Partition drive letters are not stored in the BIOS; they're assigned by the OS. You'd have to reassign drive letters in Disk Management.

I cleaned and formatted the drive with two partitions, prior to installing W7, so that could be the cause?
    Yes. It would have been better to delete the old partitions and create new partitions during the Win7 install. Like I said, it creates 2 partitions, System and Boot.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clea...dows-7-2624917

Even though your system is not a dual-boot system, the same issue can occur when accessing a Windows XP drive under Windows 7.

Thanks for the W7 install link. The only area that my install varied was regarding partitions, i did not hit Advanced as i had already cleaned the install hdd, partitioned it and formatted the partitions.

May dig out another hdd and start over.

Thread Information