Junk Sound quality on Youtube

Thread: Junk Sound quality on Youtube

Junk Sound quality on Youtube

I use Win10 pro with 24 gigs RAM, gigabyte MB, etc.

I play a lot of Youtube videos. It's a way to study the piano while I"m stuck at home under quarantine.. The problem I'm having is that almost all of the youtube videos are hideous in their audio quality. It seems as if I'm clipping, even at normal volume. There's popping, crunching, something like that. I have decent Logitech speakers with a subwoofer and they're not prone to clipping even at high volume.
    Is it a matter of "consider the source"? Or is there something I can do about it?

Thanks, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Post some links to some of the videos that have bad audio quality so we can check them out.

Plug headphones into the audio out of the computer instead of the speakers and see if there's still any distortion. That will be the easiest and fastest way to eliminate the speakers as the source of the problem. I suspect they aren't.

Turn down all audio levels on the computer and increase the input volume on the speakers/amplifier. It's generally more common for clipping to be generated by the computer than from external speakers/amplifiers which are usually more tolerant of levels higher than normal. Start by setting all audio levels on the computer to 50% (including the volume control on the youtube video) and work up or down from there.

Also temp disable any audio enhancements in sound/speaker properties settings.. eg: loudness or bass boost etc. You can also have a look at the audio level meter while you've got that open. Levels should not be peaking or redlining at all.

Try using a different audio output on the computer if you can.. eg: front panel audio out vs rear panel.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

"Common sense stuff. The headphone plays the same distortions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgnoEfaoZU at 25:10 to 25:30. I've tried different browsers. Chrome's a little cleaner but not much. I've been using Firefox (mostly because it remembers all my cookies but I think I'll switch). My mobo is a gigabyte P55. The computer's ten years old but many more recent upgrades. but this youtube sound suuuuucks."]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgnoEfaoZU

That youtube video is totally clean.

Also worth uninstalling then reinstalling the computer's audio drivers.

That and other things included here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-2535c7cd56c8

I listened to the last video/audio link in post #4, and I did not notice any "popping or crunching", or even any clipping issues. I have a relatively slow internet connection, and I am not using anything more than decent computer speakers, but the sound quality seemed to be about as good as you are going to get from a Youtube video. I would suggest trying some of your videos on a different computer setup to compare the results. Also, check all of your audio connections and cables for any corrosion.

Work with my audio settings has brought a big improvement. Thanks for all the great help.

You're welcome

Thanks for the information. I have also often faced with this problem.

Thread Information