[RESOLVED] Drive is not recognized after a win 10 update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Drive is not recognized after a win 10 update

Resolved [RESOLVED] Drive is not recognized after a win 10 update

I know it's caused by updates because it happens every time without fail. Usually, I can fix it by rebooting but I've rebooted until the cows come home and it still doesn't show up.

How do I get it back and how do I prevent it from happening?

Thanks - rev

Post the make and model of the drive, and how you have it connected to the computer. If it is really caused by Windows 10 updates, they would have to be driver updates, and you should be able to prevent those, once you get the correct drivers re-installed. This assumes that the drive is not flaky and has just finally died.

The disk is a Western Digital WD20EAR5 00MVWB0 spinning disk and it's connected via SATA cables. I don't think it's a driver issue because two identical disks are being recognized. I tried shuffling the cables on the header but nothing changed. I looked in the BIOS but didn't understand what I was looking at.

Could I roll back the update or use system restore to get it back?

I tried a system restore but I lost another disk!
    Last edited by Reverend; January 23rd, 2021 at 11:49 AM.

I think you mean a WD20EARS, not 5.

Do the drives show up in the BIOS or not? What is the make/model of your motherboard?
    If the drives show up in the BIOS, did you try booting to a diagnostics disc like UBCD5? Post #4 shows how to run hard drive diags.
    https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...oot-CD-5-Guide

Do the drives show up in Device Manager or Disk Management?

If 2 identical disks are recognized after the Windows update, then the update cannot be affecting the disk that is not recognized. It has to be something with the disk itself.

>If 2 identical disks are recognized after the Windows update, then the update cannot be affecting the disk that is not recognized. It has to be something with the disk itself.
    You would think, but it can't be coincidence that I have the same problem with the same disk after every update. It's been going on for nearly a year! As mentioned, I could always get it back with a reboot but after this last update, I can reboot all day and it won't show.

Fixes on the web say the same thing as you, the cable's gone bad, the data is corrupt - if I'd listened to that I would have lost all data at every update. I'm not the only one, others have experienced this. Of course, the disk in question is my Work disk so I'm dead in the water. I'll would bet my life that I can take the disk to a win 7 machine and see all the data.

Most Windows updates would not have any effect on a hard drive. However, it is possible that something different is happening. The first thing to check is whether the BIOS can see the drive. If it cannot, then Windows cannot be the issue, since Windows is not yet loaded. If the BIOS does see the drive, then it is possible that the drive was originally formatted on a system using a different version of Windows or a different OS. If that is the case, my suggestion would be to attach the drive to an OS that can see it, copy all of the data off of the drive, then attach the drive to your Windows 10 system and format it there. Then you can transfer the data back to the drive. If you still have the same issue after doing this, it is time to either use the drive on a different system (not recommended) or scrap the drive.

The main thing that you have to do in order to get rid of the “Hard drive not detected” error is to re-enable the missing hard disk using Disk Management. ... Right-click the Windows key at the left bottom corner and select Disk Management. Now, you should see the list of drives that are connected to your PC/laptop.

The drive is not seen my Disk Management. When I first installed win 10, I had so many errors I started logging them. As you can see, I've had this problem over and over again, always following an update. J:\ is the 'Work' drive and even though I lost it many times, I always got it back with a reboot. Then came a long period where an update appeared to have fixed the problem so I didn't turn updates off.

Win 10 Errors

7/01/2020: Stop Code: 0x700800B1 – unspecified error during system restore
    7/01/2020: A device that doesn’t exist has been specified
    7/01/2020: An unexpected error is preventing you from copying this file
    7/01/2020: No mouse or keyboard
    7/03/2020: Work drive was not recognized
    7/04/2020: no icons in task bar, no hidden icons
    7/04/2020: Stop code: Driver Power State Failure (driver didn’t wake from sleep mode)
    7/05/2020: Stop Code: Driver Power State Failure
    7/05/2020: Enter key won’t work in an Outlook message, works everywhere else.
    7/06/2020: NO ERRORS!
    7/10/2020: Work drive not recognized <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    7/10/2020: Exception on shutdown
    7/11/2020: Lost internet connection
    7/17/2020: Work drive not recognized <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    7/18/2020: Photo viewer app unable to open jpg.
    7/20/2020: Work drive not recognized <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    7/21/2020: Explorer icon missing
    7/21/2020: Doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
    7/21/2020: Default gateway not available
    7/21/2020: Default gateway not available 2nd time
    7/22/2020: Can’t invoke Chrome
    7/22/2020: The semaphore timeout period has expired
    7/22/2020: Default gateway not available
    7/22/2020: Default gateway not available
    7/22/2020: Can’t invoke Chrome
    7/22/2020: Edge works but Outlook can’t Reply
    7/26/2020: jpg viewer can’t open a jpg (installed Irfanview)
    7/27/2020: default gateway
    7/31/2020: No J:\ drive <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    7/31/2020: No J:\ drive <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

From 7/31/2020 I haven't had the problem. Now that it's back, I refuse to believe the drive is hosed or the cables are bad or the BIOS has been affected because I was able to recover at least five times to date. I'm very reluctant to start screwing around with the headers, cables or hardware of any kind for fear of causing corruption. I have 3 machines but I don't have a SATA adapter for the laptop and the 3rd machine is so old it's using IDE cables. I never solved the semaphore timeout error we once discussed, it went away of it's own accord, possibly via updates, i didn't really care how.

If the BIOS does not see the drive, then Windows will not see it either. Checking the BIOS to see if the drive is detected is your first step. Until that is done, you are dead in the water.

I'm discovering other errors after the last update. WhatsApp web won't open and utorrent was removed with an error 'This app cannot run on this machine' it's been running on this machine since the beginning of time and when I put it back it runs just fine. Don't know about you but I have a strong objection to apps being removed without my permission.

>If the BIOS does not see the drive, then Windows will not see it either. Checking the BIOS to see if the drive is detected is your first step. Until that is done, you are dead in the water.
    The BIOS has seen the drive for a year, Are you telling me that an update could have edited that entry?

The BIOS has seen the drive for a year, Are you telling me that an update could have edited that entry?
    No, I am asking if you have checked the BIOS after Windows failed to see the drive to make sure that the BIOS is still seeing it.

Are you telling me that an update could have edited that entry?
    No, Microsoft updates do not normally affect the BIOS. Although it is possible, it is unlikely. At this point, we are not concerned with the cause of the issue, which you seem convinced is due to a Microsoft update. We do not as yet have any hard evidence of this. The fact that it appears to be happening after Microsoft updates are applied could just be a coincidence, especially if these updates required a re-boot.

>If the BIOS does not see the drive, then Windows will not see it either. Checking the BIOS to see if the drive is detected is your first step. Until that is done, you are dead in the water.

Thread Information