32 or 64 bit files

Thread: 32 or 64 bit files

32 or 64 bit files

And so to the next question!!!!!

To create my new W7 installation, I swap out Disk 0 from XP to the new one. I have two other hdd installed, so files that I want to read regarding the install, I copy to another partition, in XP to W7, they are doc files.

To ask questions here, I have 'Print Screen' and saved some W7 images as jog / bmp / gif on the same partition as I post to this forum via XP 9at the moment.

Also, to import my Firefox bookmarks from XP to W& / Edge, I saved the file as bookmarks.html.

However, with W7 / Edge, bookmark import shows nothing; no html file, zilch.

The doc files created with XP (32bit) are not even listed in the same partition with W7 (64 bit); likewise, the image files to post here, created with W7 (64 bit) are not listed with XP.

But I have a lot of photos on different partitions, all created with XP and Photoshop. I have install PS onto the W7 disk, and they are all visible.

My question is, are 32 bit files readable or not with 64 bit os, and visa-versa?

Data files are data files - they do not change when you go from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. The 32-bit and 64-bit designations refer to the memory addressing capabilities and OS and software versions. Your data files should all be readable from one OS to the next.

Edge does not support importing bookmarks from an .html file.

The doc files created with XP (32bit) are not even listed in the same partition with W7 (64 bit); likewise, the image files to post here, created with W7 (64 bit) are not listed with XP.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Your .doc files should be visible in Windows Explorer, as long as the disk / partition they are on is visible and available.

That is what I have found, the data files should all be visible, but they are not. I backed-up the XP Firefox bookmarks as html but cannot find them in W7 / Edge. although the file is where I put it.

Likewise some jpg made from a screenshot with Paint in W7 but cannot find them back in XP And when I search (either the XP or W7) with Everything, nothing!!!!

Strange but true.

What folder or folders are the files that do not seem to appear actually in? Are you viewing the XP partition with Windows 7 running when this happens? More details are needed to diagnose the issue. If you are trying to view files on an XP partition under Windows 7, there are several possible issues that could cause this. The safest fix is to transfer the files from the XP partition to an external drive, then copy them to the Windows partition from that external drive. Other fixes are possible, but they may also cause unwanted problems.

I have not had the time to try other work-arounds yet, even with the UK being locked down and hence plenty of time available, other jobs rear their head.

I have 3 hdd installed with numerous partitions. Disk 0 has four partitions, so of course, when I remove the XP disk 0 and replace with the W7 disk 0, those four are no longer available. So for example, the Firefox bookmark file is saved to a folder on one of the other partitions, which W7 does see, albeit, automatically reassigning the drive letters. Don't recall if I can see that file with W7 Explorer, but certainly not with W7 / Edge, import bookmarks. May be I will put it onto a USB stick and/ or Dropbox

Likewise, some jpg screenshots made with W7 and saved to the non-removeable partition hdd, is not read by XP, and Everything does not even find it! Again, may be I will try saving to a USB.

Copied the XP Firefox html bookmarks file to a USB and from there, I have managed to import into Edge. Which brings up antoher question that should be in be in a different section.

The imported bookmarks are now listed under a folder entitled 'Other.' I do want Other, just the bookmarks (favourites) to open when I hit the Favourite star. But all my searching the web for a solution and attempts, give me nothing; none of the folders will move.

What is the secret/ How do i make the imported bookmarks the top of the pile so that I don't have to click Star then Other to open the required folder?

You should be able to move your Favorites from the Other folder to the Favorites bar as entries.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...20bar%20folder.

OK, on your disk files not being visible, it looks like they are on your XP formatted drives. This results in 2 possible problems:

1. Microsoft slightly altered the NTFS file system between Windows versions. This should not be a big issue in most cases, but you never know.

2. The file owner of the files is the XP user account. However, this user account does not exist on the Windows 7 OS, even if you created a user with the same name. The actual Microsoft-assigned user ID will be different, so the permissions for the file may be blocking the visibility of the file. You could try altering the permissions on the file(s) to fix this, however, you could wind up with issues, or, it might not work. The best course of action is to COPY the files to an external storage medium, using the XP OS, and then try accessing the COPIES using the Windows 7 OS to COPY them again to wherever you want them to be on the Windows 7 system. Working with copies insures that you don't lose anything if something goes wrong.

Thanks, that is what I did for favourites. Will try it in the other direction.

As for moving the individual favourites to the bar, does not want to happen in my version of Edge. Will keep looking; it is not mission critical; just annoying to have extra clicks to get to where I want to go.

At the moment, in attempting to set up W7, you are correct in copying a file to a USB under XP and reading it in W7 is the way to go. Hesitate to wonder what will happen when I migrate my XP D:/ My Docs to W7; will they all be readable?

All data or document files should be readable as long as the user account attempting to access them has permission to do so. Copying to an external USB drive from XP and then copying back from the external USB to a Windows 7 internal drive is the way to go. It is more time consuming, but you have copies in case something goes wrong.

Thread Information