Screen resolution

Thread: Screen resolution

Screen resolution

Again, what ho one and all,

With my current XP installation, the screen resolution is the default setting of 1680 x 1050 and all looks fine. The taskbar is a good size, icons, Desktop iCalender Lite is good, and all program menu fonts a small but easy to read.

With W7, I have the same resolution (default) but many things are different. The taskbar is either too small or too large but certainly not like XP. And in XP I like the fact that open programs on the taskbar have their name rather than an icon only. Program buttons and menu fonts are very small (albeit sharp) and close to unreadable. Desktop iCalender is proving impossible to set up in a position that I can read everything, even with the same location (x / y) coordinates as XP.

I have tried different resolutions but they are just c**p and obviously not right. Is there some difference between XP and W7 screen resolution settings or is there a reg hack or something else that I can do.

Thanks

YOU can adjust font sizes etc.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

See your thread here for more info:

https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...lay-Properties

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

And in XP I like the fact that open programs on the taskbar have their name rather than an icon only.
    Try this Right-click on Taskbar > Properties
    On Taskbar tab, set Taskbar buttons to "Combine when taskbar is full"

I'm guessing yours is set to "Always combine, hide labels"

I know I can adjust font sizes althoughW7 seems to only offer small, medium and large. But this only affects W7 screens, not individual programs and their menu bars.

I don't understand why when my XP and W7 resolution is the same, the on-screen font size are so different. I f I change the resolution in W7, it certainly does change, but so is the overall screen layout, etc. XP has a screen resolution slider and i can set it higher than the recommended. W7 has a max of the recommended and then vast steps to reduce.

Sorry for all these questionw but trying to get to grips with a new OS. I'm sure I would have similar questions with W10

Thanks for the links. I know that Ctl = scroll enlarges / decreases web pages but never tried that on the desktop.

Unfortunately, it only seems to work with on the desktop, not the font sizes of installed programs. guess I cont'have everything. At least the font is sharp and clear, just a shade too small!

Back on XP for the moment, and the resolution, icons, menus, everything looks so much 'nicer' than the same resolution under W7.

I don't know the pixel height of my XP taskbar, but it is larger than the W7 'small' and smaller than the W7 large, which frankly, looks ugly. Can't believe there is not a reg entry that allows the taskbar height to be specified rather the small / large.

Also, although hardly 'mission critical' I have not found a way to position the taskbar icon in the middle, as I have then on XP.

Thread Information