Useres and Groups

Thread: Useres and Groups

Useres and Groups

What ho one and all,

And so, yet another question regarding W7, and I'm sure I would have a similar question with W10.

When I install, my name is Rex and the computer name is RexPC, with no passwords, as I am the sole user. Also checked HomeGroups, which I have now removed with a reg hack.

I am not sure if I now have full admin privileges or not? Many system files in D&S say not. So I hit the buttons to change the rights and I find two users, Users and Groups. When I click either, there are likely to be a number of entries. System, Rex RexPC, Administrator, etc. I did (do) have a jpg but as it was created under W7/64bit, I cannot find it in the partition with XP!

Why are there so many entries? Is it possible set things that there is only one user, me with full admin privileges and no locked files/folders?

Sorry about the title typos!
    Last edited by Rekusu; January 8th, 2021 at 10:33 AM.

Note that Documents & Settings was replaced by Users in Win Vista. You shouldn't be messing with permissions of D&S.

https://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
    User Profiles in Windows Vista

In Windows XP, 2000, 2003, user profiles are stored under c:\Documents and Settings. In Windows Vista (and the soon to be Windows Server 2008 – Longhorn), profiles are now stored under c:\Users. You will see a c:\Documents and Settings folder in Windows Explorer in Vista, but you will also notice the shortcut icon on this folder, and you will not be able to access this folder. c:\Documents and Settings is now a Junction Point. You can use the dir /aL command to see where c:\Documents and Settings points to or use the table below.

Late to the party; thanks, now I sorta understand.

Probably explains why my access is denied and difficult to resolve with permissions.

When I put the W7 hdd back, I will have another look around. never noticed the shortcut either and if I had, would probably not put two and two together.
    Last edited by Rekusu; January 13th, 2021 at 03:18 PM.

Thread Information