Lost bookmarks

Thread: Lost bookmarks

Lost bookmarks

What ho one and all,

Because I am still using XP, many internet links that use some kind of video (flash?), no longer work. So I installed an Vivaldi browser that would still install onto XP. Chrome, Edge, etc. would not.

I created just a few new bookmarks for the sites that do not work in XP. Yesterday, for whatever reason, Vivaldi refused to start and of course, I do not have a bookmark backup file. Search the default installed location, I found the bookmark file and saved it; however, it does not have an extension. If I add html to the file, I can open it and see that the bookmarks are there.

I uninstalled Vivaldi and reinstalled it and now it works. Import the bookmarks implies that I am importing from another installed browser (tested importing from FireFox and it works fine) and there is an option to import from an html file. Select the backed up file 9now with a renamed html extension) and the message implies that the import was completed.

And of course, I would not be asking here if it worked, because the bookmarks are not visible anywhere within the browser. I tried by renaming the file as a json, but that does not show up on the import dialogue box, only various browsers and html.

So if I have a bookmark file copied directly from the installed location but without an extension, is there a way I can import it into Vivaldi so that it displays the bookmarks?

Alternatively, since I can read the file with a hmtl extension, is it possible to convert it to a file that will import into Vivaldi?

Order of things I would try...

In Vivaldi click File>import bookmarks and settings>from dropdown menu.. bookmarks html file.
    and point it at your file.

Or close vivaldi, locate your Vivaldi installed files location and drop the file without the html extension in there. (backup the one that is there first and store it in another location)

https://techdows.com/2015/06/find-vi...n-or-path.html

Or import the html bookmark file into another browser and then open vivaldi and import the bookmarks from that browser.

(and it's not Flash.. that's obsolete and should not be installed for security reasons.. it's the newer HTML 5 format which older browsers do not support)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Many thanks. have not had the time to try again, but I like the idea of installing another browser and importing to that, then saving or transferring to Vivaldi.

I think the problem stems for the fact that I had not made a backup because I only use Vivaldi or sites that will not run under XP.

But something happened to my Vivaldi install, and it would not start, so I had to copy the bookmark file from the install location rather than export from within Vivaldi. Hence, the file did not get the default extension.

Thread Information