AV RECEIVER QUERY??

Thread: AV RECEIVER QUERY??

Hybrid View

AV RECEIVER QUERY??

I purchased a Yamaha A/V model TSR-700 recently & being a dummy, when it comes to audio systems, I have a couple of questions.
    I have this old subwoofer: Samsung PS-WX50 of which is a passive sub. Before trying to hook it up to the sub terminals on the RX, i decided to test the RX to see first if there was any sound coming from the terminals. I did this by hooking up a speaker, then listening as it went through the sound tones. BTW, I only have 5 spkrs for the system. The tone test work fine on all the spkrs, but no sound from the woofer terminal. (now what?)
    AS for the passive sub, can I test it by just hooking it up to an audio source like testing a speaker? And if it works, would it work for the RX without an amp. Needless to say, this A/V stuff is out of my league & would appreciate any help if possible.
    Thanks & HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL.........
    Where there's a will, there's a way

AS for the passive sub, can I test it by just hooking it up to an audio source like testing a speaker?
    Yes. Hook it up to any working amp in place of an existing full range speaker to see if there is sound.. it would be muffled but there should be sound. If not then the speaker is blown but I don't think that's the problem here:

Looking at the back of the TSR-700 online it appears there is no amplifier output for a passive woofer. I see only a line/low level output for a subwoofer with a built in or separate amp and that is confirmed on page 67 of the owner's manual that shows how to connect the subwoofer. And on page 374 that shows the specs for the subwoofer requires a separate amp or a powered subwoofer.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...g_UG_En_B1.pdf

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks fink, for the info. Another problem I face is that there seems to be only one audio out & that would be the headphone jack. I have a pair of Rocketfish tx/rx that I purchased a few years back to send audio (tv) to my office located at the other end of the house. It works fine for all sound including the RX as long as I have the TV set for TV spkrs. If I change to RX spkrs, then I only hear the audio in the room where the RX is setup. THe TV supports ARC & the RX as well. The tv ARC is on, but makes no difference. The TV (Samsung) uses the OneConnect. I have a High quality HDMI cable from the HDMI ARC port on the OneConnect to the HDMI in port on the RX. The OneConnect nor the tv have an analog port, so I use the Optical port from OneC. to an analog converter to connect to the RocketFish. If I could get any other sort of analog audio out of the RX. then I could feed the RocketFish & get audio back to the other end of the house especially music from the RX. I setup Playlists (mp3) on flash drives to play on the RX...........................

I'm not totally up to speed on non-analog audio switching/routing but the Yamaha unit has a line level pre-out Left/Right analog output that could be used instead of the headphone outputs (right beside the subwoofer outputs). Not sure if that helps or not but perhaps others here could add their input.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks fink, I'll check into it...............

Thread Information