New W7 install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New W7 install

New W7 install

Ho Ho Ho one and all,

I am planning to install 64 bit W7 on my Dell Dimension 9200, as an upgrade from 32 bit XP. Already upgrade the RAM from 3 gb to 6 gb (which XP will not use and the BIOS does register it, so things are looking OK.

When I last reinstalled XP, I did it from an nLite ISO image that I had removed all kinds of unwanted MS stuff. I have recently found that there is a newer version of nLite for W7, both 32 and 64 bit. I would like to remove unwanted stuff from the W7 install, but uncertain how to proceed as I plan to try the 64 bit W7.

Will 64 bit nLite install onto my 32 bit XP? Probably not? Does that mean I have to install 64 bit W7, then install nLite, copy the W7 files to a new folder and remove what I don't want with nLite, create an ISO disk and reinstall W7?

If you are thinking of doing an Upgrade install over XP, that will not work when going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I am not sure what sort of "unwanted" Microsoft stuff you were planning on removing, but you will probably have to install Win 7 64-bit first, then mess with it.

No, would not install over XP. Plan is to remove Disk ) and use redundant, smaller hdd. As it will take time to get theprograms up and running, I can swap back to XP as and when I want.

When happy with W7, make an image and then restore that image to the current XP partition. Assume that although all the files have been written with 32 bit, restoring a 64 bit os will be ok? Or not?

Don't specifically know the stuff that I don't want, but nLite for XP allowed me to remove a lot, so would assume that similar unwanted bloat exists in W7. I'm not an any home network, group, don't need all the multi-user security stuff, just want full admin access as a single user. Games, not interested, RAID, never used it.

And whatever route I take, I will ensure I have an image of my XP install before committing myself.

You might want to consider setting up a dual boot install. That will make it easy to switch back and forth between the two OS's, preserve them both going forward and not have to switch out drives.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...dows-7-xp.html

Lots of other tutorials are available via google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual...%20windows%207

As far as bloat in Windows 7 except for the (near useless) media center in Win 7 Ultimate there isn't a great deal in factory made install ISO's. I'd be more inclined to do a normal install (Win 7 Pro if you have a choice) and when it's up and running turn off things you don't need.. in services for example.

Once the install is up and running there are suggestions here about what services could be turned off. I'd stick with the "safe" list. And only do one at a time for easier troubleshooting.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the advice, it will be very useful. Think I used BlackViper X years ago when getting XP the way I wanted it.

Will initially just install to an empty HDD and see how it all goes. Gradually get all the programs up and running and when happy, take an image and copy that to the existing XP partition. Not really keen on dual boot; no reason.

A couple of 'boozoo' questions; just been reading about a clean install. it is just me using my computer, only connected to the internet. In 'Select computer's current location,' what exactly does Home Network imply? I'm not on any network. And I don't want a password so presumably, just ignore password and re-type password?

Thanks

"Home network" is about the firewall and security settings. If you are at home, then that's the one to use.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...c-network.html

Which password are you talking about? If you mean your user password, you can just leave it blank .

Again, thanks. Yes, I am referring to User Password. And Yes, I would choose Home Network because that is the obvious, but as with many options within the OS, it is the language that confounds me, and 'Network' when I only have one computer is one of those words.

Guess I went through it all when I last installed an os which was around five years ago with e VM install of XP, but don't recall the process.

May give it a shot late today.

Good news (I guess!!) W7 (64 bit) installed without any issues whatsoever and even sees the 6 gb RAM.

However, there appears to be little I can do to activate it. On-line, the product keys finally tells me that W7 is no longer supported (I know). The phone just gives X number of W10 registering options.

What can I do? Is there a way to keep it working beyond the 30 days?

"Do you have a valid product key?"

I believe so, but this morning when I fired up the W7 disk, and decided to try again, I received an Authorization Confirmed message, so perhaps all is good to go. A case of RTFM?

Now to find what of my programs will work and what will not.

May be stupid question but I have always liked the XP tree structure (I understand it); is there a way to get it in W7? I have Classic Shell installed.

What about all the things i don't need; Libraries for example. Don't really understand what it does that a folder with files inside does not do. Can I loose it and if so, how? Under documents, there is My Videos and My Pictures. Under User, there is the same. Why and can I just delete them?

When I boot, I have my My Computer and Homegroup. What is Homegroup? Apart from selecting Home Networking, I have not created a Homegroup.

Thanks

Make Windows 7 look like XP:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-w...ke-windows-xp/

Libraries:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2146...-in-windows-7/

I would not recommend deleting any of the system folders. If you don't want to use them, then don't. However, if you want to try , here is a link:

https://superuser.com/questions/2973...s-in-windows-7

Disable Homegroup:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-in-windows-7/

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2709...-in-windows-7/

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable...-in-windows-7/

Thanks; very useful information. I could have found it myself with a bit of time, but appreciate your efforts.

Am having a challenging time understanding W7 with Workgroups and Libraries. Even User confounds me! Seems it is designed from multi-user use rather than just a single user, not on a network.

For example, "The library folders where your documents, music, videos, contacts, etc are stored in are located in the users' folders by default." found on this site: https://www.faqforge.com/windows/rel...and-windows-8/

In my XP, I have all os and programs on C: and created D; as My Documents. Within that, are folders that hold whatever topic I am working on. The folder Accounts has sub-folders for every year and each contains the relevant financial info for my tax submission. I know how to find the information; why would I want to save it in a Libraries, which seems be nothing more that a link to the actual folder / files? And if I can save a new document to Libraries, Which is only a link, where is the actual file itself saved?

Likewise with User. Seems to me that the assumption is that created files will be saved to User/MyName/ file name, on C: I try not to write anything to C: that I have created, they all go to a folder on D: So what does the User folder do?

I've completely ignored all of the libraries, my videos, etc folders. Never used them once. I save almost all files to a separate partition D as you have and have a folder on my desktop as a temp download space to use until I decide to store them on D or delete them. My email program automatically uses it's own folders for storage (The Bat) as does other email programs like outlook and outlook express.

Likewise with workgroups. I have never paid any attention to it/them and that's never been an issue.

I have left My Documents in it's own default location for simplicity sake but rarely store anything there for any period of time.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Libraries and the Users and other default folders are the Microsoft way of storing files. If you don't want to use them, you are free to use your own file organization system instead. However, while it is possible to remove or relocate the Microsoft folders, it is probably best to leave them where they are and just ignore them.

Thanks for your reply. Guess I know that and just mouthing off my 'annoyance.' Will ignore then as I have never been happy with anyone telling me that their 'filing system' is better than mine. And the 'boring' XP style works for me!

I know where and how my files are stored and it works for me.

Setting up a new OS is quite frustrating; how to do this, how to do that; why doesn't this work; how come I don't have admin privileges on everything. The list goes on and on. But I will get there and am sure there will be more questions along the way.

Toodle pip and thanks for the patience.

Found some reg hacks for removing / deleting Libraries and Homegroups. and they have worked well.

Now would like to eliminate Favourites. Again, found a reg hack (HKEY\CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder).

The problem is, I do not have a CLSID folder! Is this something I should create? I'm guessing not.

Thread Information