[RESOLVED] Wireless Network Quits Working After 3 To 5 Minutes

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wireless Network Quits Working After 3 To 5 Minutes

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Wireless Network Quits Working After 3 To 5 Minutes

Windows 10

When I run diagnostics I get these messages:
    The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken-Detected.
    and
    The default gateway is not available-fixed.

If I start the computer again the wifi is connected for another 3-5 minutes and quits

The device says: 300m wireless USB adaptor with a blue square and a lower case "n" on it

Is the device bad?

Thanks

There is not enough information to determine whether it is your USB wireless adapter or the router that is the issue.

How far from the router is your computer? How many walls are between the two devices?

What type of computer are we talking about? I assume that it is not a laptop.

Do you have an ethernet cable available for testing?

You could just try a different USB wireless adapter. There are some inexpensive ones available:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-wi-fi-...apters-2377825

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-wireless-adaptors

The computer is a desk top. I am sending this from a different computer. The router is about 18' from the computer in question. I don't know what a wall is. I do have a long enough ethernet cable and I hooked it up and the internet has been working since over 45 minutes. I'm assuming since the internet is working on the computer that doesn't have a problem that the router is okay.

18 feet should be close enough unless your building's walls have a significant amount of metal in them.

If your connection is OK with an Ethernet cable, then the main part of the router is working OK. The wireless portion could still have an issue. If you have a different computer (laptop?) that has a built-in wireless adapter, you could see if that has issues or not.

Otherwise, trying a new, inexpensive, USB wireless adapter might be the next test. If that works, then you have found the issue. There are some listed in the links I posted previously, or you can check Newegg or Amazon for some with decent reviews.

What is the history behind the computer? Has wireless always worked in the same settings etc? Or is the wireless hookup new?

I thought I sent a reply.

The new wireless works!!

You are the best.

Thanks1

Thread Information