exe file name

Thread: exe file name

exe file name

What ho one and all,

I'm about to make one small step for ....... and upgrade from my lovely XP computer to something that will run 64 bit and probably W10, (which I don't really want!!!!)

I have some hardware that is now redundant by W10 standards but I hope I have found the drivers. One important tool is my Wacom Graphire 4 tablet. I have found a driver that the relevant forum says allows it to run under W10 but the file name is meaningless; cons525-5a_int.exe.

An exe file is presumably and exe file, so is there any reason that I cannot change the name to something meaningful like Graphire4.exe?

Thanks and toodle pip

Is your hardware new enough that it is 64 bit compatible?

In theory - most of the time you can rename an EXE file. When in doubt, put it in its own folder and add a TXT file called READ_ME_FIRST.txt with a description of what the file is for.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for your eply. Good point about being 64 bt compatible. Although it is 'old' I would imagine that a Wcom tablet was 64 bit.

Both my wife and myself use an MS Trackball mouse on XP 32 bit os. Recently acquired an 'all in one' that she will be using with W8.1 on board. The trackball mouse would not install from the disk but I found another driver on the internet and it now works as it should. At a guess, the Wacom disk supplied driver may not install, but the file I found was from a site where the thread writer had wanted to install his Graphire 4 onto W10 and managed to do it.

As for a folder with a more understandable name and the driver and readme inside; golly gosh! The easiest ideas are the best. Thanks.

Thread Information