Cannot delete

Thread: Cannot delete

Cannot delete

What ho one and all,

I downloaded on my XP computer, a great film (My Octopus Teacher) onto a USB stick and watched in on a W7 computer. Well worth seeing.

But now I want to delete it from the stick but cannot. It is listed in the directory with around a 4gb file size, but nothing I do will remove it. It no longer plays on the stick, all I get is a Corrupt file message. I have tired Move on Boot, plain vanilla delete, a command line, and it is still there.

The worst case is to copy everything and format the stick, but with around 50 gb of data, that is more than I want to do.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks and toodle pip

Did you run the command line/cmd.exe as administrator? Right click cmd.exe and choose run as administrator. You could also check the drive for errors. https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/ Choose which version of Windows you'll be plugging the drive into. I'd go with your latest. Thumb drives can be funky to deal with. I'd make copies of any file on it that you really don't want to lose.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for your suggestion.

It all worked as it should. Ran cmd on the W7 computer, went to E: (the drive in question) and entered chkdsk/f/r. X time later, it was finished and I was able to delete the entry. Very satisfying!!

I find it bizarre and interesting, that in the days of W10 and all that it can apparently do, sometimes, a good, old fashioned DOS command will do what all the other advanced programs will not.

It is actually one of my grumpy old man soapbox topics. I had forgotten to ran chkdsk but do remember the days of DOS and can get around with it. But modern computers are sold to Joe Average along with the LED TV and microwave, but JA has no idea how to 'solve' simple software issues. So he/she either gets an expensive 'repair' or is advised to upgrade, when actually, all that is necessary is to save the important data, re-format the HDD and it will be factory fresh. In my opinion, it is verging on criminal practice, but what do I know?

Thread Information