Shut down my PC to swap a drive, will not even POST now

Thread: Shut down my PC to swap a drive, will not even POST now

Unhappy Shut down my PC to swap a drive, will not even POST now

Well, this has been giving me stomach cramps.

I have one main desktop so this being down is a huge issue for me. Normally I leave it on all the time as it's always in use, but I needed to replace one of the drives (not even the OS drive) so I shut it down, cloned the drive, and put the new one back in.... and after that the system is utterly dead.

This is what the configuration was like when I built it originally, some of the parts have been upgraded/replaced since (GPU replaced with a single 1070, OS drives upgraded to 1TB ones, and an additional SSD which is what I was replacing), but all the major parts are still the same: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cyber_Akuma/saved/BBvV3C

Pressing the power button makes all the lights and fans on the system itself come on, but almost none of my USB peripherals light up (such as mouse and keyboard) and there is no display on the screen, nor any POST beeps. Many of the times when I tried turning it on it will turn on like this for about 10 seconds, shut off for about 10, then turn on again. Sometimes it refuses to turn OFF too and keeps coming back on when I try to turn it off. The motherboard has a POST code display, but it usually just says a code for "configuration error" although removing different cards got me different codes sometimes.

I tried removing the new drive, removing the GPU, soundcard, raid card, etc but no difference. I tried holding down the CMOS reset button and even removing the battery, still no difference.

I am not sure what to do at this point, seems like it is either the PSU or the Motherboard, but I have no idea which nor do I really have any tools to test them. If it's the motherboard that is going to be a huge nightmare as not only can I not find any of the same model on eBay that would not cost $500 in shipping from Russia or are from China and sketchy, but I also had a RAID0 run by the motherboard that I am not sure how I would recover (Yes I have backups, but I would like to try to get the most current data if I can) and since the Windows installed on that system was OEM I might have to purchase another key if I have to replace the motherboard.

Any suggestions or ideas on what could be wrong or what I can try to do? This was really bad timing, had several things I wanted to finish on it before December was over.
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

Odds are it is the power supply. At least we can hope that the PSU is what failed. If you have a spare PSU of the same or higher rating, you could try swapping it to see what happens. If not, a new PSU is a lot less than a new motherboard would be. I would try that first.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...001459&Order=4

Thread Information