Problem With Windows Update

Thread: Problem With Windows Update

Problem With Windows Update

I am running Windows 10, Version 20H2 fully up to date with Windows Update.

Today (16/11/2020) I ran Windows Update to see if there were any new updates.

I clicked on Check For Updates and as usual it started checking for updates.

It then reported:-

Canon - Printer - 8/24/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.90.2.20

It then immediately recycled back to Windows Update stating You're Up To Date.

I thought this was strange as it was so fast it didn't appear to do anything, so I decided to run Check For Updates again and this gave exactly the same result.

I checked View Update History, and it gives under Driver Updates:-

Canon - Printer - 8/24/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.90.2.20
    Successfully installed on 16/11/2020

So why when I run Windows Update does it keep giving Canon - Printer - 8/24/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.90.2.20

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Windows Update - gotta love it, it just works (NOT). My guess is that it is failing to install. However, if the printer is working OK, and you do not have it set up as an Internet-capable printer, then you can probably ignore the update. If you wanted to, you could check the Canon web site to see if there is really an updated driver available.

Link for a similar issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...onal%20updates.

Hi jdc2000,

Thanks for your reply.

My printer is a Canon Pixma MG6850 and is working OK.

If it is failing to install why does Update History say that it is installed successfully?

I have checked on the Canon web site and I have the latest driver installed.

Is there a way to set Widows Update to ignore this update?

If it is failing to install why does Update History say that it is installed successfully?
    Because Microsoft Updates are not exactly the most bug and trouble free updates ever created.

Possibly useful link for hiding the update:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...ng-windows-10/

Thanks for the link.

I will try and hide the update using the Show or Hide Updates tool.

Hi jdc2000,

Downloaded the Show or Hide Updates tool from your link.

Ran it and hid the Canon - Printer - 8/24/2018 12:00:00 AM - 2.90.2.20 driver update and now Windows Update works OK.

Thanks for your help.

Canon Printer driver keeps reinstalling

Quote Originally Posted by PinguJohn View Post
    Hi jdc2000,

Thanks for your reply.

My printer is a Canon Pixma MG6850 and is working OK.

I have checked on the Canon web site and I have the latest driver installed.

Is there a way to set Windows Update to ignore this update?
    I have exactly trhe same issue. Windows 10 Home, 20H2, all updates applied. I have an older Canon MG5750 printer. Works fine, but Windows update keeps saying it needs the driver installing.
    At first it kept saying the update failed, so I uninstalled everything Canon, reinstalled, but Windows now does the update every few days and says 'successful'.

The Canon website driver latest version is OLD. 2015! and its the latest one.

I dont know if I can/how to blok the windows update from happening every time.

Don't think it causes any problems, but its annoying...

2 éve használok egy Canon Pixma MG5750 nyomtatót, kifogástalan működéssel. Kb 6 garnitúra tintát elhasználtam vele, de soha semmilyen fennakadás nem volt. A napokban a kijelzőn megjelent egy hibakód (1404) az alábbi üzenettel: "Ön nem megfelelő nyomtatófejet használ. Cserélje ki a nyomtatófejet megfelelőre!" Értetlenül olvastam az üzenetet, mert a patroncsere kivételével soha nem nyúltam a nyomtató belsejébe. Ezúttal kivettem a nyomtatófejet, illendőségből megtisztÃ*tottam (egyébként kifogástalanul tiszta volt), majd visszaraktam. Nagy örömömre a nyomtató ismét működni kezdett. Néhány nap múlva azonban a hibaüzenet újra kiÃ*ródott. Ezt a hibát azonban már nem tudtam az előző módszerrel megszüntetni, ezért letöröltem a telepÃ*tett programot, majd lemezről újratelepÃ*tettem. A gép ismét működött. Pár nap múlva újra megjelent a hibaüzenet és akkor fedeztem fel az általad is emlÃ*tett 2.90.2.20-as frissÃ*tési szoftvert, melyet ha visszakerestem, mindig a meghibásodás napján töltött le a gép. Meggyőződésem, hogy ez a frissÃ*tés okozza a hibát, ezért most 15 napra letiltottam a frissÃ*tések letöltését, mert sürgős nyomtatnivalóim vannak.

Google Translation from Hungarian to English:

I have been using a Canon Pixma MG5750 printer for 2 years with impeccable operation. I used up about 6 sets of ink with it, but there was never any interruption. In recent days, an error code (1404) appears on the display with the message: "You are using the wrong printhead. Replace the printhead with the correct one!" I read the message incomprehensibly because I never reached inside the printer except to replace the cartridges. This time I took out the print head, cleaned it out of propriety (it was impeccably clean anyway) and then put it back. To my delight, the printer started working again. After a few days, however, the error message reappeared. However, I was no longer able to resolve this error with the previous method, so I uninstalled the installed program and then reinstalled it from disk. The machine worked again.After a few days, the error message reappeared and it was then that I discovered the 2.90.2.20 update software you also mentioned, which, if I looked it up, was always downloaded on the day of the failure. I believe this update is causing the error, so I have now disabled downloading updates for 15 days because I have urgent printouts.

Thread Information