DismHost.exe-Using almost 100% HD for over 110 minutes

Thread: DismHost.exe-Using almost 100% HD for over 110 minutes

DismHost.exe-Using almost 100% HD for over 110 minutes

What the heck is going on?!!

I noticed my laptop running sooooo sloooow suddenly. Opened Task Manager and see DismHost.exe using 75-100% hard drive usage. This has been going on now for almost 2 hours continuously!

A Google search says it is a Windows program - "Deployment Image Servicing and Management"
    But I think it may be a virus? What do I do?

This has never come up before today - why now all of a sudden?!

Please help

You can run a scan with Malwarebytes, but most likely it is not malware. Chances are, Microsoft is helpfully downloading the next 7 TB "update" package so you can have the latest bling-bling and eye-candy for Windows 10.

This took 18.5 hours on 2 of my computers recently (using a 7 MB download speed internet connection).

If you open a Command Prompt window and enter winver and press Enter, that should show you what version of Windows 10 you have. If you have anything less than 20H2, Microsoft is probably downloading that version.

Next morning update: I don't see DismHost.exe running anymore. I guess it is finished and my HD % is back to where it should be.

WinVer says version 1909 I am running. I would think that is only because I have not rebooted yet for the update to install. I have some work to do on my laptop this morning. After that I will reboot. It will probably take 4 days for it to finish the update install. This is crazy how MS just takes over your system when they feel like it.

Thanks for your reply JDC, you are always very helpful.

If I don't report back that means the update installed properly and no more issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Have a good holiday weekend.

Note that Windows 10 version 21H1 is now being offered to some of my computers, so another marathon download may be coming your way also.

Thread Information