Issue with desktop WiFi adapter

Thread: Issue with desktop WiFi adapter

Issue with desktop WiFi adapter

Desktop tower PC running late version of Windows 7

I haven’t had connection issues for a very long time. I had a Wi-Fi connection on my desktop PC earlier today and it was working fine. Later this evening, I suddenly lost the connection.

When I click on the network icon at the right end of the system tray, it shows my usual network connection as “Available.” However, when I right click it and then click on “Connect,” It demands the network security key. I don’t have it memorized, and I’ve gone through the normal steps to retrieve it in the network settings.

However, there are NO network connections listed in order to take a look at the network password. In Device Manager, it says the Wi-Fi adapter is working properly. Why is there no network connection listed, even though it shows the usual household network available when I click on the tray icon?

I realize one solution is to hardwire the connection with CAT-6 cable, but I’m already using a long, expensive cable for my work computer, which I do not want to disconnect. I would much rather stick with Wi-Fi for my personal home PC.

Best regards,
    David G.
    Last edited by star-gazer777; November 16th, 2020 at 02:50 AM.

Does the work pc have internet connection?
    Have you rebooted the router?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Also, if your long, expensive Cat 6 cable goes from the work computer to the router, and the work computer and personal home computer are near each other, a simple and inexpensive switch could also solve the issue.

Thread Information