screen resolutution problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screen resolutution problems

screen resolutution problems

it happens at startup that the screen resolution change to lower, all images are out of sink, sometimes restarting fix it, some othertims I have to go to problem fixing, and sometimes I have to go to work on it long time.
    Thanks in advance

PC SPECS
    W8.1 NS: 00258-61743-32505-AAOEM
    LENOVO-PC2
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 core, 4 processori logici X64
    BIOS LENOVO IEKT26AUS, 22/07/2014 - SMBIOS 2.7
    (RAM) 4,00 GB
    Windows 8.1 Versione 6.3.9600 build 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Ethernet 802.3
    CHKDSK C: /spotfix
    NVIDIA - Display - 12/29/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7654

Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there are any issues with loading drivers or software?

When it boots into low-res mode, check Device Manager to see what display adapter is showing.

Have you checked for an updated driver for your display adapter?

What actual steps have you found to successfully fix the issue so far?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there are any issues with loading drivers or software?

When it boots into low-res mode, check Device Manager to see what display adapter is showing.

thankyou for answering
    this is from eventviewer: on the 13 it actually shows a simylar on the 14, today but nothing happened.
    the invidia driver search shows that the right one it's already in. Same for the monitor.
    what I have done to fix it I suppose just restart, I changed the resolution also, and others I don't remember just tweeking around. One thing that shows on the W.update every day is the HP USB driver but I don't load it any longer as it has always the same code n.
    yesterday and today the res. was right at startup.
    Thanks again

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 3

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-11-13T14:48:34.914207700Z

EventRecordID 207716

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Lenovo-PC2

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 126
    BugcheckParameter1 0xffffffffc0000005
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0xffffd00020b858a8
    BugcheckParameter4 0xffffd00020b850c0
    SleepInProgress 6
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 3221225473

I noticed that another event could be related to the former descripted:
    The Lenovo I have is also a touchscreen, but not my monitor (the vender fouled me) so to avoid problems I has to install "classic explorer settings". But quite often there are problems resolved by just restarting, like screen flickering and related others. I was thinking if the problems could be related. And if there is something I could do to fix it.
    Thanks again

Are you using the GeForce Experience software? That can cause problems.

Display issues are usually caused by the following:

Problem with the Display Adapter hardware
    Problem with the Monitor
    Problem with memory

You could try running a memory test to see if anything is found.

Post the actual model number for that computer - it should be on a sticker somewhere on the case. Does it have onboard video in addition to the add-in video card? I assume that it is a desktop type system, not a laptop.

Problem with the Monitor
    Problem with memory

Post the actual model number for that computer - it should be on a sticker somewhere on the case. Does it have onboard video in addition to the add-in video card? I assume that it is a desktop type system, not a laptop.

Problem with the Monitor
    Problem with memory

Thankyou for answering,
    it didn't have the problem with changing res. since. But it did the flickering screen at start once, wich I fix usually just by restart once, seldom twice.
    memory test OK, display adapter seems OK
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 ( Drivers:already installed) (Geforce experience: NO)

Following is from the stick:
    Lenovo machine type:9086
    MTM: 9086006GIX
    S/N: R300HP06
    PROD FAMILY: LENOVO H50-50
    CPU: 15-4460 3.2
    HDO : 1T
    RAM:4G

thanks again

OK, that system has onboard graphics also. That would allow you to test the monitor by connecting it to the onboard video adapter. If you still have the same issue doing that, then you have isolated it to the monitor. If you get no issue, then the problem is with the GTX 745 adapter (either hardware or software). If the problem is a GTX 745 issue, one way to see if it is a hardware or software issue is to boot the system using a live Linux disc or USB flash drive. If you do that and you are still getting the problem, you have a hardware issue. If the problem goes away, then it is a software / driver issue.

OK, that system has onboard graphics also. That would allow you to test the monitor by connecting it to the onboard video adapter. If you still have the same issue doing that, then you have isolated it to the monitor. If you get no issue, then the problem is with the GTX 745 adapter (either hardware or software). If the problem is a GTX 745 issue, one way to see if it is a hardware or software issue is to boot the system using a live Linux disc or USB flash drive. If you do that and you are still getting the problem, you have a hardware issue. If the problem goes away, then it is a software / driver issue.
    "test the monitor by connecting it to the onboard video"
    I plugged into the OBVA but it just show a black screen, I tried also a restart. So that means is not working, but what I am using is the GTX745, and that is working, except when occasionally stumbling. Could the problem be related to tha OBVA? and no to the touch screen system originally on this PC, that by not having a T.S. monitor ( resolved by installing the Classic Explorer settings) could have start related misconnections, just resolved by reboot. By knowing OBVA not working, I know the issue is with the GTX 745, and booting with Linux shows if hardware or software/driver problem. Should I download wich Linux on a disc?

Thanks again

To really see if the onboard video adapter is not working, you may need to change the BIOS settings to use it, and maybe even power down and pull the GTX 745 card.

You could try a bootable Linux Mint disc. I would use the version with the Cinnamon desktop.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide...test/burn.html

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=281

OK thanks, I keep that in mind if it start re happening in a solid way.
    I considered many times of Linux just to get rid of the usual culprits, but many apps would still be available? specially for the highly impaired?

Quote Originally Posted by cima2003 View Post
    OK thanks, I keep that in mind if it start re happening in a solid way.
    I considered many times of Linux just to get rid of the usual culprits, but many apps would still be available? specially for the highly impaired?
    There you go...It happened again...the res. change...but Looks was on SM. I rtried to change the res. but no possible, Tried to search new drivers for the monitor, but said was already installed and properly functioning so I did the W.Update and suddenly the RES was just fine. what then?

Yes, looks like you are right, MS is loading the wrong drivers for my W.8.1, but having selected to choose which driver I like each time, what I saw was only security updates, which I always allow,
    or HP 46.0.4643.1 which is for the printer, but showing up every day the same code, I never allow, since I did before.
    So could be that security update load up wrong drivers for the video adapter? and how come that in S.M. screen; I do updates (the HP included) and suddenly the S.M. disappear?
    Thanks for the links, but those are for W10, and I can'found on 8.! where the all drivers update is.
    Thanks again

How to prevent automatic driver updates in Windows 8:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/...icons.1837525/

Thread Information