network printer doesn't seem to be found on my network

Thread: network printer doesn't seem to be found on my network

Question network printer doesn't seem to be found on my network

Have a brother printer, installed as a network printer. All other PC's on this network are still Windows 7, and the brother software detects and uses the printer (@ 192.168.010.143) correctly. The windows 10 PC does PRINT to the printer via the Windows IPP driver. But, none of the brother software seems to find the printer, even if asked to search for the IP address. Printer sharing, etc., is all active on the PC in question.

What am I overlooking? I don't have much experience with Windows 10 yet, but this doesn't seem to be something that should be so hard. The problem is that without installing the full Brother printer software, I can't get that all-in-one to scan or do anything other than print, and the user needs the scanning function to work as well as printing. Any help is truly appreciated. Thank in advance...

btw, this printer is DCP-L2550DW hard-wired to the network via an ethernet connection... once again, all Windows 7 PC's find it correctly...
    Last edited by gorganzola; November 9th, 2020 at 12:20 PM.

What IP address does the Windows 10 computer have?

In a Command Prompt window, "ipconfig /all" should tell you.

the windows 10 pc's address is: 192.168.010.139

I assume that the subnet mask was 255.255.255.0

If that is the case, it is on the same subnet, and should work.

You could try not letting Windows 10 manage your printers, which may or may not change anything.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...t-printer.html

https://pattersonsupport.custhelp.co...efault-printer

From a Command Prompt window, try this to see if the printer's IP address is seen:

ping 192.168.010.143

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I assume that the subnet mask was 255.255.255.0

If that is the case, it is on the same subnet, and should work.

You could try not letting Windows 10 manage your printers, which may or may not change anything.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...t-printer.html

https://pattersonsupport.custhelp.co...efault-printer

From a Command Prompt window, try this to see if the printer's IP address is seen:

ping 192.168.010.143

yes, that is the subnet mask, and ping returns results almost instantly... I still can't tell where to go next.

it's being managed as a "WSD" port, which can't be configured (the address is a long http address)... do I simply need to delete the printer and try to reinstall it? I'm hesitant to do this since it IS printing correctly at the moment, and that's the MOST important task for that workstation... network discovery is ON and all else looks normal, except the Brother Software STILL won't install...

there is NO checkbox or setting under control panel > devices & printers >

for "allow Windows to..." control the printer function... am I looking in the wrong location?

Quote Originally Posted by gorganzola View Post
    there is NO checkbox or setting under control panel > devices & printers >

for "allow Windows to..." control the printer function... am I looking in the wrong location?
    Microsoft has that particular setting in another obscure location. Click on the Start block, scroll down to settings and click on that, then in Settings, click on Devices, then click on Printers and Scanners, and then scroll down to find the Let Windows Manage My Default Printer.

You will need to get the Brother software installed or you will not be able to do anything other than print to that printer.

What happens when you try to install the Brother software? You should be able to specify the IP address for the printer during the install process. If that does not work, you may want to try setting up the printer on a test Windows 10 system that does not already have a Windows 10 printer driver installed to see if you can get it installed there. If that works, then you may wind up uninstalling the Windows 10 printer driver, since it may be preventing access by the Brother software.

found the checkbox with your help... the box was already "unchecked", so windows is NOT managing the printers on that PC. Will try to install it on a different Win 10 box tonight. As an aside... if I right-click on that printer, I CAN choose scan > start scan, and the printer WILL scan a document... but I can't get anything above 300 dpi (the printer will more than double that), I'm assuming because it's a generic Windows driver managing that printer at the moment. I think I'm going to have to delete that device and try to set the software up again. Brother support is LESS than ridiculously unhelpful with issues of this nature (as in: They couldn't find there own posterior with a searchlight and a government map). The process that occurs when trying to use the IP address I've already commented on: it's not found... I don't know anything about that IPP driver, but it certainly MAY be the culprit.

Will keep this loop alive until I know more...

If you can ping the printer and get a return result, then the IP address should be able to be found.

The Windows (or other) firewall should not be blocking that IP address.

Note: That IP address should be set as the fixed / reserved IP address in the printer setup, so it does not change.

Possibly useful link:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00010178_008

Thread Information