Netscape & Mozilla Plug Ins in my registry

Thread: Netscape & Mozilla Plug Ins in my registry

Netscape & Mozilla Plug Ins in my registry

Why do I have these in my registry under Current Users and Local Machine? I have never used either program on this newly installed Windows 10 machine. So why did Microsoft's Windows 10 software put this in my registry? I have searched the Internet about this subject and found no true answers. I have 6 computers and both of these registry names are on all of them. So number 1: Why are they there and number 2: Can I delete them.

I don't have any Apple products on my computer and I only use Windows Edge.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

They are likely there because Microsoft created them to be ready in case they were needed.

You can probably delete them without causing problems, although I would test this on a system where you won't lose anything if it blue screens or fails to boot afterwards. However, don't be surprised if Microsoft helpfully restores them at some later date. The entries are not taking up any significant amount of space and should not be causing any issues if left in place. Also, they do not have anything to do with Apple hardware or software.

I have been deleting them for years on every computer that I own or work on from the registry and they have not had a problem. So just don't know why with their little brains that they need to add them to my system or any system.

I mean what's their thinking?
    Microsoft Programmers: "Duh, let's create a new Windows, hum. We can call it Windows 10 and hey let's skip Windows 9 for for kicks just to keep people not thinking about Windows 8. Hum, why don't we just stick in there Netscape and Mozilla Plugins too. That will throw the general population into a spin, won't it? Ok, let's do it!"

Wasn't Netscape created for Apple. And wasn't Mozilla Firefox created from the Netscape people?
    Thanks, JB

Netscape:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape

If you ever figure out Microsoft's reasoning for anything, be sure to let us know.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...eature-update/

Yes I meant AOL not Apple(duh). Yes I have read those. Thanks again.

I just feel like a guinea pig for Microsoft. Any collateral damage can be blamed on spyware, viruses, Internet glitches or something wrong with my computer that I have not taken care of recently. I feel for people that don't pay any attention to their computer's versions, updates, virus scans, backups or any kind of maintenance. They just want to turn it on and hope that it will run normal without worrying about anything.

I tell people that think of your computer as your car. It needs maintaining like oil change, washing, putting gas in it, winterizing it, checking your tires, cleaning it out, checking your fluids, etc. So maintain it like you would do to your auto.

Of course I do know people that only put gas in their car and that's all they do.
    Last edited by jonnyb; November 7th, 2020 at 02:50 PM.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information