XP install

Thread: XP install

XP install

What ho one and all,

I fully expect to get shot down in flames for this question. but ...........

I have an injector timing issue with my car and need to reprogram the injectors. The normal way is to use a laptop connected to the car OBD socket, etc. That's not issue. Last time I used a laptop, it was my Thinkpad T20 with W2k installed.

Unfortunately, the new OBD code reader needs XP or greater. For the past 15 years I have been using my legit XP Pro on my desktop computer and have now 'upgraded' the T20 with the install disks. Seems to be OK but of course, I am being asked to register my install and of course, neither the internet or phone contact for XP work any longer. I don't need to connect this laptop to the internet, there is no reason to do so.

Is there a work-around so that XP will not lock me out at the end of the 'trial' period in 30 days time?

Thanks and toodle pip

You could try calling local computer repair shops to see if they have an old laptop with your version (home or pro) of XP installed from which you could use the license. Or maybe they'd have a copy of the install CD lying around to sell. The cost would have to be very low. There are copies of it on Ebay selling for less than $20 as a reference (although I wouldn't buy it there or from any online source).

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for you reply but not sure I understand.

i have a legal copy of XP Pro running on my desktop and I have the installation disks. I have installed it onto the T20 and it is working, but when I check the Activate options, it asks me to contact MS on the web or phone.

I have not connected the laptop to the web because for what I want to do (recode the car injectors as is is portable, unlike the desktop) but MS no longer support XP so registering will not work.

My question is, can I do something that will allow XP Pro to run for longer than 30 days, since I cannot register with MS?

According to various sources online you can still register XP..

eg: https://superuser.com/questions/1502...port-has-ended

But, going by the book legally you should not have the same install/license of XP running on more than one computer.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information