Doesn't have a valid IP config and Default Gateway not available

Thread: Doesn't have a valid IP config and Default Gateway not available

Doesn't have a valid IP config and Default Gateway not available

Those are the two commonest errors I get. I'd like to know how a valid IP config becomes invalid and why the default gateway is not available?

And - is there any way of protecting good settings against changes or saving good settings for quick reinstatement?

Thanks - rev

If your device is getting an IP address from a DHCP server, those addresses are generally set to expire after a certain period of time, and have to be renewed or the device has to get a new IP address from the DHCP server.

If you are on a home network with only a few devices (less than 100), you may be better off doing what I do, which is to assign each device a fixed IP address and not use the DHCP server. This is especially true for printers where the driver may be set to use a certain IP address.

Also, your DHCP server and/or gateway (often the modem/router for your ISP) should be on a UPS.

> which is to assign each device an fixed IP address
    I tried that and win 10 said can't save IP settings. How do you know what static IP to use?

If you open a Command Prompt window and enter "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes), it will give you your current IP address and Gateway, as well as the DHCP server IP address and when your IP address "lease" expires. For most home users, your IP address is likely to look like 192.168.xxx.yyy where the .yyy is the only number that is likely to change. You would use the same first 3 numbers and use the fourth number (0-255, but actually more like 5-250 range) to select IP addresses for your devices. Your Subnet Mask is likely to be 255.255.255.0 for all devices. The command will also show you your DNS Servers, so you can set those also if desired. Your Gateway IP address will not change.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1924...-or-windows-7/

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I'm still getting the Default Gateway error, what causes that. Would it do any good to change it?

A Default Gateway error means that the computer or device cannot communicate with whatever device (usually your modem/router) that is set as the Default Gateway. I am not sure what you would change the Default Gateway to in your case, since you probably do not have any other device that could act as one.

If you do not have your modem and/or router on a UPS, you probably should. If you do, and you are still getting this error, then a reset of the device (after saving the settings so you can restore them), might be in order. If that does not work, it may be time for a replacement device.

So you think it's the hardware?

If this is an intermittent problem, and you are not or have not changed anything, then it is very likely hardware. Either power glitches or a failing power supply or other component in the Default Gateway device is likely to blame.

I assume that you have tried or are using a wired connection to eliminate the possibility of interference on a wireless connection.

Nope hadn't tried that but the modem thing is old and not on a UPS.

If you are getting these errors on a wireless connection, switch to a wired one to see if they go away. If you get no errors on a wired connection, then you have a wireless issue. A wireless issue could be hardware, on either end (computer or wireless router). If you still get errors, then the gateway device is the prime suspect.

Thread Information