How to get a code?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a code?

How to get a code?

Microsoft claim they've sent me a code so that I can verify my email address. I can't get into my email to get the code (which they never send) until I've verified my email address.

The other verification option was 'I don't have this anymore.' I didn't try that because I don't want them to erase my address. However, if that option doesn't result in erasure? I'll try it.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks - rev

PS: Nothing was sent to my alternate email.

MS Should be attempting to send the code to your CELL PHONE...... Or any cell phone number you give them.

There is TONS of information about this on the internet.... Here is one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-c64b7072e735
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

See pic - phone is not an option.

PS: I've been through all this since first post and I got back in but MS don't seem to know that. I've got the same nag to verify everything all over again.

I've got a phone and two alternate emails but they're never listed as options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Reverend; November 9th, 2020 at 05:35 PM.

The wording on the dialog says 'I don't have ANY of these' (which could mean they'd erase my account, so I didn't choose it)

The wording in the help says 'I don't have ACCESS to these' (which is a whole different thing!)

Try this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-d6318d6f4e0f

No guarantee you will get someone that has a measurable IQ at Microsoft "support" to help, but it may be worth a shot.

I'll try the link but three attempts to get back in have failed. I fill out every field but they keep saying I haven't provided enough information. There's no space or field to provide more.

I'm still being nagged on all devices to provide credentials for hotmail. I don't know how long they're going to keep it up. A change of email is more far reaching than most would imagine:

* I'm a member of 61 web sites, banking and notifications will be affected, anything on autopay, your own website.
    * If you don't have someone's email you can't inform them of the change so you might have to ask someone else for it. That might require the email holder's permission.
    * If you have your blocked email on any printed matter, such as business cards, all that money is wasted and has to be spent again.
    * All the above will need answers to security questions and all of it is going to look like unusual activity!

I can see this being an ongoing chore that could take a year!

>No guarantee you will get someone that has a measurable IQ at Microsoft - Amen to that!

jdc: I contact people or get in touch 'reaching out' is really horrible! But I used your link and I 'reached out'

I whined big-time and pointed out that it isn't clear whether required subject lines should be incoming or outgoing and it isn't specified whether or not they're case sensitive, I gave it the full 'woe is me.'

Now we'll see. Thanks for that link!

Let us know how it goes.

I agree that changing an email address that is used for a lot of things is a major pain. That is one reason why I don't use Microsoft or Google or Yahoo or any other big corporate email provider for any of my email addresses. They do not have any real technical support, and couldn't care less if you have an issue.

Let us know how it goes.

I agree that changing an email address that is used for a lot of things is a major pain. That is one reason why I don't use Microsoft or Google or Yahoo or any other big corporate email provider for any of my email addresses. They do not have any real technical support, and couldn't care less if you have an issue.

>Let us know how it goes.

It went exactly as you predicted. The knuckle draggers at Microsoft don't have an opposing thumb and lentils are more intelligent.

I appealed using the link you provided that lets you explain. I was polite and to the point and I didn't say anything about his mother. A single cell organism, or the beta version of Artificial Stupidity, responded saying, go here to recover your account. I had mentioned that I'd been denied access three times but that response was said as if I'd used no words in my appeal whatsoever. So I've given up.

I went to the Wells Fargo site to update my contact info and there was a box asking:
    Would you like to receive text notifications? I checked it and a dialog appeared saying:
    Are you really sure you want to STOP all text notifications (WTF?)
    No!
    You have elected to receive text notifications at (my number) and you understand that some tariffs may apply, etc
    Then I get an email summary saying, You have blocked all text notifications.

So now I have to contact more amoeba at Wells Fargo. I didn't know it when I opened the account but they hire from people from mental institutions who would have been better off counting toothpicks under a freeway bridge. I'm not the sharpest fish in the jungle but support people are supposed to be able to make a sentence...

Thankfully, you (and your coworkers) are excellent at expressing yourselves in a field that requires precision - it's refreshing to chat with the articulate!
    Last edited by Reverend; November 19th, 2020 at 04:03 PM.

That reminds me - how do I change my email for this site when I've forgotten my password? If you send instructions to my registered email, that's the one that's blocked.

Thanks - rev

To change your email address for this site, when you are logged in, click on the Settings link near the top of the page. Under My Settings on the left of the Settings page, there is a link to Edit Email and Password.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    >...I went to the Wells Fargo site to update my contact info and there was a box asking:
    Would you like to receive text notifications? I checked it and a dialog appeared saying:
    Are you really sure you want to STOP all text notifications (WTF?)
    No!
    You have elected to receive text notifications at (my number) and you understand that some tariffs may apply, etc
    Then I get an email summary saying, You have blocked all text notifications...

I make a few bucks on the side from surveys. My favorite are the ones that ask if I've heard of Company ABC, and when I say "no," they then ask my opinion of them, whether my transactions with them have been positive or negative.... But not just one company. They do them in bunches.

If you've already given M$ your cell phone #, you're doomed. Everyone sells those phone lists to marketing companies. Only my friends and doctors have that #.
    Last edited by foxy; November 19th, 2020 at 11:49 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I lost the phones faster than bad guys could use them.

Not a good idea to lose a cell phone. :P It's your lifeline if you become ill or your car breaks down. But I hope to drove M$ crazy.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information