VPN .. Is it what it's cracked up to be??

Thread: VPN .. Is it what it's cracked up to be??

VPN .. Is it what it's cracked up to be??

I have a recently purchased anti-virus program with VPN. Being that I leave my PC powered up 24/7
    should I expect VPN to stay connected at all times, even when the PC goes to sleep?
    If I have VPN connected say today & then tomorrow morning, I find it off plus the AV programs shows
    that I have X amount of tracking cookies, junk files etc,etc. Is this how VPN supposed to work?
    Thanks for your time............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

VPN - Virtual Private Network

You connect to an outside server AND from there you surf the internet. In theory, it's harder for bad people to gain access to your local machine.

All of that has nothing to do with losing the connection while you are away.

Is there a reason you don't turn off the pc at night?

Have you looked to see if there are settings for the VPN to not disconnect?

Is the pc doing anything at night that requires internet access?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thank you Steve; for your reply. As for powering down the PC, I have found over the years & this goes back when I was very instrumental in ham radio, that I would have far less problems overall, By leaving certain electronic devises powered up 24/7 rather than powering up & down daily. Especially where ambient temperatures varied considerably. The program I have at the present is TOTALAV of which the VPN does have other settings to try. However, when I goes to set any other setting other than what came with the installing, I get a message stating that I need to install a windows setup driver from: GZ systems limited of which I am not familiar with. This would be uncharted territory for me.
    As for internet access, I do not know of any particular reason for the PC to require it throughout the night. Altho, with Windows 10, who knows??

If sitting down and using the pc in the morning is no big deal, you could simply do nothing. (guessing that the vpn software reconnects)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

GZ systems is the company that owns Pure VPN which I'm guessing is the one that your a/v program is using.

PureVPN is a commercial virtual private network service owned by GZ Systems Ltd. Founded in 2007, the company is based in Hong Kong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureVPN

It would seem to me that without the driver installed the VPN may not be working correctly. However before installing any new driver I would make a backup of my system to be on the safe side.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the info; I'll proceed with caution............

An interesting site. Thanks jdc..........

Thread Information