[RESOLVED] Files suddenly behaving as "read only"

Thread: [RESOLVED] Files suddenly behaving as "read only"

Resolved [RESOLVED] Files suddenly behaving as "read only"

I'm using Windows 7 and having a problem with a "read only" attribute that doesn't appear on file attributes.

When I open a "doc" file in Microsoft Word 97 my Avast program gives me a warning that "a program" has opened a "read only" file and asks if I want that program to access that file. I tell it okay. When I go to save the file Windows (not Avast) tells me the file is "read only" and kills the saving process.

When I check the file attributes in Explorer the "read only" box is not checked. Looking at the attributes for the folder, the "read only" boc is checked. I'm not sure, but I think the folders have always been checked at read only. Maybe not. Never paid much attention to folder attributes.

I've never had this problem until yesterday, and I do not know of anything I might have done to cause it. I did find what was proposed as a solution which was to check the "Replace all child object permissions..." box in the "Change Permissions" button located on the "Permissions" tab of the popup you get when you click the "Advanced" button on the "Security" tab on the "Properties" right selection menu of the disk. That only solves it until you restart the computer, however, at which time the problem is back and you have to do it again.

The Read-only attribute on the folder is your problem. Something (probably Avast) is changing that, since it should not automatically be changed once you have set it. As long as you are not saving files to areas that are normally protected by Windows, like Program Files, this should not be happening. Try disabling Avast to see if the problem goes away.

Avast upgrades silently, so that may be it. I will disable it before shutting down tonight and see what happens when I start up tomorrow.

Will let you know then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Red face

Well, when you get old, memory is the first thing to go. I don't remember what the second thing is.

I forgot to disable Avast before shutting off the computer last night. So I was going to disable it first thing this morning and then shut down and restart. However, I find that the files did not revert to acting as read only this time. Winword 7 is opening, modifying and saving "doc" files without any problem.

The box for "read only" is still blued for folders, but several discussions I have read elsewhere say this is normal and has no real effect. That seems to be true at this point. I'll mark this post "solved" because, at this point it seems to be.

Thread Information