[RESOLVED] Windows 10 Workstation x64 Bypasses BIOS

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 10 Workstation x64 Bypasses BIOS

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows 10 Workstation x64 Bypasses BIOS

Hello...

So I just installed Windows 10 Workstation x64 on an older computer that has a BIOS and doesn't use UEFI. After setting Windows up, I was going to make an image of the hard drive for backup purposes using my preferred method, Clonezilla. I have my BIOS set to boot from the CDROM drive first but for some reason when I start my computer with my Clonezilla CD in the drive, Clonezilla doesn't boot and instead Windows boots. So now I go to get into the BIOS by hitting the Delete key as usual and no bueno; Windows boots. Ok, so this is frusterating as all get out. Any ideas how I can make an image with my preferred method, Clonezilla? I have Acronis as well I can make an image with. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

Don't really know but, I'd first check msconfig>boot just to see if anything jumped out at me.

Rodney M...with msconfig I changed the boot time out from 30 seconds to 60 seconds as a test. Still no good. Past that, nothing really stands out.

jdc2000...I actually did what was described in the link you posted, however, as I mentioned in my original post, my puter doesn't have UEFI firmware, just a good old BIOS. The method in the link demonstrates UEFI.

After much testing, the way I've been able to get around it is restarting the puter with the imaging boot disk(s) in the CD drive instead of powering the computer on with the power button. Odd I know.

Maybe you need to test the CD and or the CD Drive.

If the CD burn to make it bootable didn't go well......
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The link I posted shows information for both UEFI and older standard BIOS setups. The Restart procedure in Windows 10 should work, with the bootable disc in the drive. Microsoft really doesn't want you running any other OS besides Windows 10 on your computer, so they make it hard to boot from removable media or drives if you have Windows 10 installed. They removed the ability to show boot options on the boot up screens.

jdc2000...I guess what I'm saying is that the "UEFI Firmware Settings" menu isn't there. I can't tell you why it's not there. If this menu was there, is it supposed to get you into the BIOS as well?

An older BIOS would not have the UEFI option. However, if you look carefully, there is info in the link I posted on older BIOSes.

You would need to make sure that the first boot device is set to your CD/DVD drive, and make sure that the bootable disc is in it when booting. Otherwise, Windows 10 usually does not let the boot menu, if you have one (eg: Press <F12> to . . . ) show long enough for you to access it, so you have to boot into Windows and then RE-Boot to a bootable disc or USB flash drive. This should work unless your BIOS has some quirk that is preventing it. Post the type and revision of your BIOS - this should be available once you are in the BIOS setup. The make and model of the motherboard might be useful also, or the make and model of the computer if it is a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.

I already did all of that and it worked as I mentioned in one of my posts above. Thanks though.

Posting the make and model of computer and/or motherboard might allow us to search for possible answers more specific to your system.

As I mentioned, I have it working by restarting the computer with the boot media in the CD reader. I'm kind of over it now. You can close this thread if you wish.

Thread Information