[RESOLVED] Is it possible for device that are connected to switch to show up in router dhcp?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is it possible for device that are connected to switch to show up in router dhcp?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is it possible for device that are connected to switch to show up in router dhcp?

Is it possible to get devices that are connected to a switch but getting ip assigned by router dhcp, to show up in the router table? I assume the answer is no but never hurts to ask.

I'm guessing you are asking if devices will show up on the router's DHCP client table?

If the clients are using DHCP from the router, then yes, they would be listed. It doesn't matter if they are connected to the router through another switch or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I'm guessing you are asking if devices will show up on the router's DHCP client table?

If the clients are using DHCP from the router, then yes, they would be listed. It doesn't matter if they are connected to the router through another switch or not.
    Yes i am talking about dhcp client table and not the answer i expected. I have netgear gss108e switch that is plugged in to the asus-ac87u router. Yet whatever i plug in to the cables that go to the switch, they do not show up in the router client table. I have DHCP on switch turned off so all ip are coming from the router yet it's not getting populated in the client table. Only thing that is showing up is all wireless connection and anything that is connected directly in to the router such as the switch. Any advice on what could be wrong?

Why wouldn't that be expected? The DHCP server must know which IPs are used, so that it doesn't assign 2 devices the same IP.

You didn't say it was a managed switch. Is there are reason you're using a managed switch instead of a regular switch?

Do you mean you disabled the DHCP CLIENT on the switch? DHCP Mode = Client, not Server. If so, did you assign it a static IP, subnet mask, and gateway?

Why wouldn't that be expected? The DHCP server must know which IPs are used, so that it doesn't assign 2 devices the same IP.

You didn't say it was a managed switch. Is there are reason you're using a managed switch instead of a regular switch?

Do you mean you disabled the DHCP CLIENT on the switch? DHCP Mode = Client, not Server. If so, did you assign it a static IP, subnet mask, and gateway?
    I had one laying around, i have cable going from router to the switch and yes i assigned static ip on the router side for the switch. Being switch is not actively assigning ip, why is it not showing up in the dchp table of the router?

Being switch is not actively assigning ip, why is it not showing up in the dchp table of the router?
    You just said that you assigned it a static IP. It wouldn't show up in the DHCP table if it's not using DHCP.

You just said that you assigned it a static IP. It wouldn't show up in the DHCP table if it's not using DHCP.
    Lets make sure we are talking about same thing. I manually assigned the switch ip in my asus router. I turned off dhcp in my switch netgear switch.JPG

I figured out. For some reason connection list wasn't showing up correctly. Restart fixed it.

I manually assigned the switch ip in my asus router. I turned off dhcp in my switch
    YES. If you used a static IP on the managed switch, it will NOT show up in the DHCP table on the router. DHCP table = IPs assigned by the DHCP server.

YES. If you used a static IP on the managed switch, it will NOT show up in the DHCP table on the router. DHCP table = IPs assigned by the DHCP server.
    I used the wrong terminology. AC-87U has view list. Everything shows up in that list regardless if it's DHCP or static ip. As long as device is attached, it's showing up.

Thread Information