No Internet

Thread: No Internet

No Internet

A day doesn't pass when I don't get kicked off the web. Diagnostics usually say, 'doesn't have a valid IP config.' The IP config can't change itself so that can't be true and the connection usually resumes of its own accord.

It's an Asus Z390-E mobo and I'm using the onboard Wifi with the latest Intel driver.

Is there a circumstance, like too many pages displayed or multiple downloads or the phase of the moon that's causing this? Have others complained?

When it's intermittent how to go about troubleshooting?

Thanks - rev

Does this happen while you're using the computer.....or after it has sat idle for 15 minutes or more?

If it's after it's sat idle - go into Device Manager-> Wireless device properties-> Power Management-> Disable the power saving options.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The IP config can't change itself
    Actually, if you have it st to use DHCP, the IP config can change itself. I always set up a static IP configuration to prevent this.

>the IP config can change itself.
    How, why?

DHCP has to be the setting for Telmex modems so I can't do anything about that. I had also already Disabled the power saving option. I think MS have done something in Win 10 so that you get kicked off your connection if you access a site they don't like. The connection was lost shortly after I went to thepiratebay on at least 3 occasions so I looked it up. It's all over the web and happening to a lot of people so I think censorship is the culprit.

DHCP assigns the IP address for the devices it is in charge of. Those can change, and they do expire and have to be renewed. Also, if they expire and the DHCP server cannot be reached - no network access. You do not have to use DHCP for your computers if you are using one of the non-routable IP address ranges for them.

You did not mention anything about the Pirate Bay in your initial post. Your ISP may be frowning on that. You would have to check with them on that.

There's no ISP frowning in Mexico! I once got 50 movies overnight.

It's Win 10. Has to be because it doesn't matter which browser you use. I don't know what technology but it looks like Win 10 knows something about the site as soon as you reach it. Maybe it's getting header information or something from the browser. If the above is the circumstance, I've learned to just wait. I'll be appropriately punished, the time value in the punishment will elapse and my connection will resume.

I'm 65 and I can remember a time when we weren't being surveilled. No one was recording everything you did. It was only just before my time when governments worked for the people!

The browser wouldn't matter if it was your ISP. You could try using a live Linux disc as the OS. That would let you know if it was Windows or not.

I say it's not the ISP because they really don't care about that here and it all started when I switched to win 10. Now I just download on a win 7 machine. It's the same connection but if I'm not using it on win 10, the 7 machine doesn't get kicked off.

You could try the TOR browser setup on Windows 10 to see what happens there.

I'm currently using Brave Browser because it blocks all ads and trackers and it's very Chrome-like so everything's in the same places.

DNS over HTTPS might be another option to try.

Meaning what exactly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_HTTPS

DNS over HTTPS would prevent Windows from knowing what site you were visiting (unless you use Edge as your browser).

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-ov...sp-opposition/

https://community.brave.com/t/how-to...ttps-doh/91769

Ah ha! I will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Thread Information