[RESOLVED] Can't see all computers on network

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't see all computers on network

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't see all computers on network

I got multiple computers on network. Windows 10 laptop can see 2 other windows 10 computer and 1 desktop windows 7 computer. I have one more windows 7 which windows 10 laptop do not see. I have tried using this command in powershell admin and it didn't help "Get-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Network Discovery" -Enabled True -Action Allow -Direction Inbound" Anything else i can try? I can ping it and i can log in to it using ip but i would rather have it showing up under networking. Any idea? If it makes any difference, the windows 7 desktop that can't be seen is on Wifi.

I should add all computers are on same workgroup.
    Last edited by ylen13; May 1st, 2020 at 03:52 AM.

Does it have some folders that are shared and file sharing enabled?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Verify the following settings For Win7:
    Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel
    Click "Network and Sharing Center"
    Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
    Choose the following:
    Turn on network discovery
    Turn on file and printer sharing
    Turn OFF password protected sharing
    Click Save changes

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Yes there are files that are being shared on that computer. I should note that my other windows 10 computers are able to see that windows 7 computer. Yes there is network password set up on that computer but removing requirement for it didn't help.

Are all Win10 computers using the same version?

Here's something to try on the "bad" Win10 system:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ult-in-windows
    Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Are all Win10 computers using the same version?

Here's something to try on the "bad" Win10 system:
    No, the one that can see that computer is using the 10 pro, the one that can't is using the home version. Thanks for the link will give that a read.

I also meant the version number of Win10. (Ex. 1903, 1909). That can make a difference too. Pro or Home is the "Edition".

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I also meant the version number of Win10. (Ex. 1903, 1909). That can make a difference too. Pro or Home is the "Edition".
    oops both are on same build 18363.815

That's 1909. Hmm, if they're all the same, then I guess that's not the problem.

Problem been fixed on the computer that couldn't see it. Not sure why the other one could but here is what I did.

1) Turn on Function Discovery Provider Host
    2) Turn on Function Discovery Resource Publication
    3) Restart and make sure both are on.

Ah ok, so the recommendation in the link worked. Good to know.

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

update: problem only partially got fixed being it would stop working after every restart. To make this problem go away completely i set up batch in task scheduler that runs every time i start up the computer.

You can either run this in command line with admin privilege or windows power-shell with admin rights.

net stop FDResPub
    net start FDResPub

Hopefully this will help someone else that is having same problem.

Thread Information