BLUETOOTH DILEMMA ???

Thread: BLUETOOTH DILEMMA ???

BLUETOOTH DILEMMA ???

I am not sure if this is the right spot to post this. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot...
    I have a Dell XPS-8930 PC, purchased less than a year ago. It has been working flawless till now. The blue tooth quit working & any reference to it is gone. No indication
    in Device Manager, no indication in the Action center. I ran all the Dell diagnostics to no avail. Being that it is still under warranty, I called DELL Support, and was told that
    the warranty only covers hardware issues & that the Bluetooth is a software issue??? This does not make sense to me?? Plus they told me that it would cost $99. to fix.
    I am at a loss as to how to proceed with this. If anyone has any suggestions, it would sure be appreciated...Thanks much!!!
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Possibly useful links:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-D...7402161#M28463

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-D...h/td-p/6048113

If software or driver updates do not fix the issue, it could be a bad Bluetooth radio. That should still be under Dell warranty, despite what the "support tech" told you. If you call again, you may (or may not) get a better tech.

However, before I spent $100 to fix the issue, especially if this may be a recurring problem, I would just get a USB Bluetooth adapter for a lot less money.

Thanks jdc2000, a bit late this eve, but will pursue my options tomorrow. I'll try Dell again also, perhaps 'like you say" i might get lucky & get a different tech......

I happened to have a bluetooth dongle on an older machine. I installed it on this xps-8930 & after a few trials, got it to working OK. Will be looking for
    a new one to attach to the XPS. Any ideas as to what brand might be the best buy. I'm considering Avantree as I have used their bluetooth TX/RX
    BTTC-500 units to use with my LG-HPS-810 headsets & they are absolutely outstanding. Having it set up with the TV, I am able to walk around outside & still hear the TV or whatever is plugged into it.
    As for the Dell XPS-8930, I tried several times contacting Dell support only to get a barely audible response from them. I asked them numerous time to turn up their volume, so that I could understand what they were saying & all I got was to "call back later" . Three times later, I called & still no answers. I would like them to send me a new bluetooth adapter board & I would install it my self. Not going to give up just yet.. Thanks for all the info. Appreciated it !!

Check the reviews for potential purchase candidates for Bluetooth adapters. The range you need may also be a factor. Normally, you are lucky to get a 30 foot range with Bluetooth, regardless of the range claims. If you need more, you may need a larger adapter with a larger antenna.

What are you connecting to the laptop using Bluetooth? There may be an alternative that uses wireless networking frequencies and would provide better range.

UPDATE: I finally was able to talk to a decent person with Dell. They are shipping a new BLUETOOTH card via FedEx & should have it within a couple of days. Meanwhile, I'll use my old dongle to get by. jdc, you mentioned a laptop?? The XPS8930 is a desktop pc....As for the type of connection, I'm using an LG-HBS-810 headset. Same as I use with my cellphone. I use the PC voice commands similarly as with the cell phone. Saves a lot of typing when searching the internet. However, since I switched to DuckDuckGo, the voice does not work as well as it did with Google Chrome. DuckDuckGo is OK by the fact that it does not share info, however, it is quite slow as opposed to Google. Thanks again jdc2000...............

OK, you are probably not searching the web from your back yard using voice commands, so range should not be a problem. At least you finally got to speak with a decent technician at Dell.

UPDATE-2: I got my BLUETOOTH adapter yesterday from Dell via FedEx & got it installed this AM. Now its back to normal again. The adapter was about the size of a postage stamp & same thickness. However, I find that a Dongle works equally as well. I can go into another room 80 + feet away & still make contact. Consider this case closed.....

I do have another query: This PC came with a 2TB HD, and I would like to install an SSD drive, perhaps 500gb and use the present drive for just storage, etc. Is there any way possible that I could separate the OS (win 10) from the present drive and clone to the SSD? I failed to make a backup when I purchased this PC. dumb me!! Thanks for any input & have a great weekend.............

How much space is currently used on the 2 TB drive? If it is less than 500 GB, you can just clone the current drive to the new SSD, make sure that the system boots from the SSD and all of your software is working and your data is there, then set up your 2 TB drive as your storage drive.

The drive has around 800gb of used space. Maybe I can find another place to dump a few gigs to get down under 500gb. Food for thought. Thanks jdc, for the input...............

Thread Information