This might be a silly question - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This might be a silly question

BTW, it looks like the TP-Link routers support bridging.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/440/

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I'm assuming you already have a modem that can do 400Mbps?
    You know, I'm not sure about that, but assume it does. Our ISP is Spectrum. Soon as I can, I'll get the model number and look it up. Brother was gone all day today so I had no chance of getting in his room to install the harddrive or get model numbers from the modem/router.

Thanks for checking that information on the TP-Link. I bought the Wireless card because it was cheaper. Maybe I should look for a TP-Link router.

Brother says his modem/router will do 400Mbps. I'm not entirely sure he knows what he's talking about because he checked his speed with speedtest from Spectrum. In other words he didn't check his modem/router by talking to someone at Spectrum, or searching online with the model number.

Spectrum modem list:
    https://www.spectrum.net/support/int...rters-network/

So he has a combo modem/router? It's hard for us to know if that's the limiting factor without make/model.

If you setup a new router as a bridge and then connect via Gigabit ethernet to PC, that might help performance. Note that in bridge mode, most routers won't accept WiFi clients. In other words, it is a dedicated wireless connection back to the main router. I believe that was your original plan.

Spectrum modem list:
    https://www.spectrum.net/support/int...rters-network/

So he has a combo modem/router? It's hard for us to know if that's the limiting factor without make/model.

If you setup a new router as a bridge and then connect via Gigabit ethernet to PC, that might help performance. Note that in bridge mode, most routers won't accept WiFi clients. In other words, it is a dedicated wireless connection back to the main router. I believe that was your original plan.
    Thanks for the list. Btw, Linksys was the other router I couldn't remember the name of besides Netgear.

And yes, he has a router/modem. I was sick today and he wasn't feeling too good either so I haven't gotten in his room yet. He said he's getting 400Mbps on his connection, but he's on Ethernet.

Not sure about what you said last. I want to take it off wireless and go Gigabyte Ethernet to the computer, but the other you said is what confused me.
    My phone, tablet and printer are all connected via wireless. Are they still going to work that way if I change my computer to wired?

My phone, tablet and printer are all connected via wireless. Are they still going to work that way if I change my computer to wired?
    Yes, they will work. My point is that once you set a router to bridge mode, that router can't be used as a wireless access point. You wouldn't be able to connect to the bridge router with other wireless clients. Basically the bridge router becomes your wifi network card.

Main router >> wifi >> bridge router >> ethernet >> PC

Okay thanks for explaining that. I'm not network savvy.

Btw that link you gave me is for modems, I was thinking to use a router, not a modem. Is this still possible?

What do you mean? Your brother needs to have a 400Mbps capable router AND modem. You still didn't say what make/model he has. Or are you just going to assume he has the proper hardware?

For your PC, you'd want to get a router to use as a bridge.

What do you mean? Your brother needs to have a 400Mbps capable router AND modem. You still didn't say what make/model he has. Or are you just going to assume he has the proper hardware?

I'm going to assume he has the hardware because I'm certain he has a Arris modem router combo. I remember him telling me that he had an Arris at some point when I asked him what it was.

So I'd need to find a router that has bridge capability, right?

When I searched Newegg, I come up with repeaters when I asked in search for routers with bridge capability. So, could I not use my Netgear repeater, with a regular router to set this up?

I don't have to stay with the ASUS brand. I found a TP-Link in my price range on Newegg.com

https://www.newegg.com/netgear-arche...82E16833704495

When I searched Newegg, I come up with repeaters when I asked in search for routers with bridge capability. So, could I not use my Netgear repeater, with a regular router to set this up?
    You could use the repeater you have if you want, but you'd need to get a faster WiFi card. Your repeater only has a Fast Ethernet port, not Gigabit. Your WiFi card is only 802.11N, not AC. Either one of those is a bottleneck.

Wow, that AX50 is overkill for just a bridge router. 802.11ax is way more than you need. Hmm, I don't see any mention of bridge or repeater in the AX50 manual.

If you want to just try your repeater with an ethernet cable, you could see if there is any performance difference. Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) is technically slower than 802.11n (150Mbps on 2.4GHz).

After all has been said and done, I may not need the repeater. As I said before, my wireless card picked up right away from my brother's modem/router and I didn't need the repeater. If I buy a Wireless router that can do 400Mbps, it may just pick up the wireless in my brother's room.

Also you keep saying that the repeater is only fast Ethernet (100Mbps) is faster than what I'm getting now, as I posted above my speeds are lower than 100Mbps.

Thread Information