This might be a silly question
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This might be a silly question

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

This might be a silly question

but I need to know once I get the new computer built.

I bought a Netgear extender thinking I might need it to get WIFI from my brother's router/modem in his room. My computer is in the living room; however, I didn't need it as the WIFI was picked up right away.

Now I'd like to get this computer off WIFI and onto Ethernet cable.
    The Netgear Extender has two Ethernet ports but to use it by hooking up a cable (cat6), instructions say to use a router in between and hook up a cable to the Ethernet port on the extender then hook up another on the router to computer.

Here's the question. I have a wireless router I was going to use before I bought the extender and from where I was going to hook it up but never did. It's still in the box it came in, on a shelf in my closet.

Since it is wireless, and wired, can't I just setup the router, have it pick up the wireless, then hook up the cable to the Ethernet port on the computer and leave the extender (still in its box).

And I hope you all understand what I typed because I'm still on my first cuppa and not fully awake yet.

That is somewhat confusing, at least to me. Are you wanting to completely eliminate all wireless links from your computer to the internet? If yes, then just run a Cat 6 or Cat 5e cable from the computer to the router/modem from your ISP. The only potential drawback to this is that you may have to run the cable through walls/floors/ceilings, or to avoid that around baseboards and under doors.

I assume that the modem/router that connects to your ISP has more than one ethernet port to connect devices to. Most do these days. If yours doesn't, then a simple switch might suffice, or if you are using a separate wireless router, it may have some free wired ethernet ports.

Since it is wireless, and wired, can't I just setup the router, have it pick up the wireless, then hook up the cable to the Ethernet port on the computer and leave the extender (still in its box).
    It sounds like you want to use the WIFI router as a wireless repeater/bridge. Something like this? Main router >> WIFI >> Second router >> Ethernet >> PC

You would need to find out if your router has a repeater or bridge mode. I'm not sure if there's an advantage to setting it up that way, though.

First off, I figured what I said would be confusing.

To clear things up, what Midknyte said is closer to what I was thinking to do. I cannot drill holes in our walls because the house is also owned by four other people. Besides the walls have wire behind the plaster.

But if I can't use my router in the way I tried to explain, perhaps, using the extender in the way it said to get Ethernet would be a better setup.

I don't want to eliminate the wireless completely, otherwise I couldn't use the extender.

My router is a new model, and has Ethernet ports, I believe four of them. My brother's router/modem has extra Ethernet ports as well, but as I explained above about drilling holes, I can't use his router/modem.

I wanted to remove the computer from using wireless because it's too slow. And it's sometimes dangerous to be on WIFI instead Ethernet.

The extender is basically a wireless repeater/bridge. You didn't say the make/model of your router. Not all routers have a repeater/bridge option, even newer ones.

You'd still have to connect wirelessly to the main router, so I don't see how that helps performance. Do you mean you want to put the extender/second router closer to the main router, and then run an ethernet cable to your computer?

What do you mean it's "slow"? Did you do tests with Speedtest or something like that?

Unless you get rid of WIFI completely, I don't see it being any safer. As long as you use WPA2 encryption, you should still be pretty safe.

My router is an ASUS Dual Band Gigabyte wireless AC=1300/ RT=ACRH13

And no I haven't tested with speed test lately.

I think this is your router?
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/w...H13_Manual.pdf

On pg 76, it only mentions Access Point mode.

It doesn't look like it has a Repeater mode. On the Asus RT-AC68u for example, there is a Repeater option.
    https://www.guidingtech.com/setup-as...oint-repeater/

I just ran speedtest.net and here are the results:

Ping
    Download Mbps
    Upload Mbps

And we have a 400Mbps connection. My WIFI card is 10/100/1000.

Wouldn't the Netgear Extender have the repeater?

I know when I first set up this computer I used the Netgear Extender and it was seen by the computer. But later I realized my Wireless card picked up the WIFI so I discontinued to use the Netgear.

Like I said, an "extender" is basically a repeater.

A WiFi card wouldn't be 10/100/1000. I think you meant Ethernet. That Netgear Extender only has a Fast Ethernet port, not Gigabit.

What is the make/model if your main router? What is the make/model if your WiFi card? Are you using 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz?

Yeah, I knew I meant to say Ethernet. I'd have to look up the specs on the WIFI card, but I do know it's TP-Link. I was short of money when I bought the darn thing, that's why it's a TP-Link instead of Netgear or the other popular one.
    Not sure about the GHz either. Another have to look up. I bought these parts two years ago, so it's hard for me to remember, except for name.

I don't know the name or model number of the main router/modem. I've never looked because I don't pay the bill on any of these hook ups. It's in my brother's room and I never had an occasion when I needed to look at it.
    I'll look tomorrow though because I'm installing a new 250GB SSD in his computer.

And here's a link to the WIFI card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, so it's a 802.11n 2.4GHz card. It's a 300Mbps card, but that's a theoretical max. Still that's faster than Fast Ethernet.
    https://www.tp-link.com/il/home-netw...specifications

Are you absolutely sure your connection is 400Mbps? That's pretty fast, so you'd need networking hardware to match. To use a 400Mbps connection, you'd need an AC main router, probably an AC1750 or higher. You'd also need an 802.11AC WiFi card on 5GHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Are you absolutely sure your connection is 400Mbps? That's pretty fast, so you'd need networking hardware to match. To use a 400Mbps connection, you'd need an AC main router, probably an AC1750 or higher. You'd also need an 802.11AC WiFi card on 5GHz.
    When I bought the equipment we only had 100Mbps connection. I figured that card would be fast enough.
    Then brother decided 100Mbps was too slow especially for his wireless Chrome Book to watch YouTube videos on.

New parts are going to have to wait until I get some extra money.

Can you recommend brands that you think are what I need?

Thanks for your help so far.

I'm assuming you already have a modem that can do 400Mbps?

What's your budget? TP-Link is decent for the price. The TP-Link Archer A7 or something comparable is the lowest I would go. Maybe an A9 or even an A20 if you have the budget.

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-arche...quicklink=true

For Netgear, I'd go with an R7000P or higher, but they cost way more than what TP-Link offers.

Thread Information