BitLocker recovery key question

Thread: BitLocker recovery key question

BitLocker recovery key question

I logged on my MS account today and there are two BitLocker recovery keys there, each of them with a device name DESKTOP and then 7 different numerals and letters in each of them. Each has a KeyID of 8 numerals and letters, then a Recovery Key of 8 sets of 6 numerals. One of these has a key upload date of 10/15/2018 and the other an upload date of 5/4/2018. I have not had a desktop computer for 6 years and do not recognize either of the device names. Is there a way to find this recovery key within my computer? I use a Dell Laptop, latest Win 10 update and 8 G of memory and it has begun to operate very very slowly. I begin typing, as in this sentence, and there may be a 5 second delay before "I begin" shows on the screen. I thought I might need that recovery key, and I'm not sure which is which. Especially calling the device a DESKTOP. How can I tell the correct key?

BitLocker should not cause a slowdown like that.

How to determine if BitLocker is on:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...s-enabled.aspx

When setting up a new computer, one of the things you should do is change the Computer Name to something other than whatever the default name is, so you can identify it if needed.

Once you have determined if BitLocker is actually on, post back and we can see if there is a way to determine which key is correct for that computer.

Thank you for your assistance. I found the encryption page in Settings and encryption is turned on. On the same page on the right hand side is a Related Settings heading and in that was a BitLocker setting link. It opened a screen that offered a Print key link or Save to a file link. I printed it and found the Identifier Key ID that matched one on the MS site and the recovery key matched one recovery key. So the drive is encrypted and I have the correct key and identifier. I will go to the MS site and delete the second key. That option is offered on that site. I use Acronis backup and set up their recovery section on my drive. Once I needed that and when I tried to get to it, I was asked for this recovery key. Again, your instruction worked very well. I appreciate it. Now to try to determine what is causing the cause for my slow computer.

Check Task Manager to see what is using CPU cycles. A scan with Malwarebytes might also be worthwhile.

Thread Information