skype priority in task manager

Thread: skype priority in task manager

skype priority in task manager

I have to reset the priority in Task Manager for Skype literally every day, even if I haven't closed the program until trying it the next morning.

I have "save priority checked", but every day Skype is at a lower priority than I wish, without me changing it. I can't seem to get my changes to stick. I feel like I must be overlooking something obvious, please educate me.

Thanks!

jdc2000, always appreciate your input, but none of those solves my issue... I just want it to "remember" the priority, which I've already changed AND saved numerous times... will watch to try and determine exactly when this happens... it's always first thing in the morning when I check it, before I start making my calls for the day...

Do you leave your computer running all the time, or is this happening on boot up? If it is after startup, you may need a startup job that changes the priority.

always running overnight for update purposes... but I haven't noticed this happening "only" when a Skype update has been done... but rather every single day. Can you point me to an example of a "startup job" that would automate this? And, thanks for all the response info either way, love this site...

The link below shows how to use a command prompt command to change a process priority. If this works with Skype, you could create a batch file with the command and then create a scheduled task to run it at specified times.

https://winaero.com/blog/change-proc...ty-windows-10/

Thank you... FWIW, it's worse than I thought, wonder if Skype itself is responsible for the following:

Not only does it not "permanently" change my priority, even though I'm requesting that it DO SO, it changes the priority back within just minutes of me editing the issue... haven't looked at the winaero link yet, but will comment when I've tried it...

It sounds like it is a Skype "feature". You could try contacting Microsoft.

'ppreciate the advice... I'd rather eat my gun as call MS (the support available for Skype is VERY close to non-existent). Will continue to research, and thanks again so much... So you would at least agree that this isn't to be expected for most running applications?

If the process priority is being changed and you aren't changing it, then something else must be the cause. If you do not have any malware, then it is most likely that the application in question is changing itself. With Skype especially, I would suspect Skype as the cause. Most other applications would probably not do this, although as a test you could try changing the priority on some other process (like maybe a Notepad instance) to see if it sticks. Some programmer at Microsoft probably thought he was smarter than you.

You could try the Microsoft "help" forums with this issue. Give them as much information as you have, including Windows version, etc. Make the post like a Russian novel - long, boring, and full of tragedy. Someone may actually read it and have an idea, but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer or a fix.

other applications running simultaneously don't behave this way... I SOOO love it when a mfg assumes they're smarter than their PAYING customers... will update again if anything is discovered

What behavior do you notice with it running at a lower priority? Perhaps a workaround would be to lower the priority of the other main programs you use when running Skype thus giving it more advantage.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    What behavior do you notice with it running at a lower priority? Perhaps a workaround would be to lower the priority of the other main programs you use when running Skype thus giving it more advantage.
    Stuttering and missed audio when making calls. Perhaps you're right, I'll look into that too, although I'm also looking for a reasonable replacement for Skype. Starting using it way before it was sold to MS, and it was much better previously. Any recommendations for VOIP like this but less hassle?

Next time you make a Skype call have task manager open and see if there are any spikes in CPU usage in other programs or processes that are running that coincide with the stuttering. Are your calls audio only or do also use video?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

No obvious spikes... only audio, no video...

Thread Information