Computer randomly restarts - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Computer randomly restarts

The power off and reboot is the easy way to check the battery.
    Oh, didn't realize it was that simple.

That is why I suggested an image backup, or a clean Windows 10 install to a new hard drive.
    Yuck. My 480GB SSD is just a few months old. Kind of expensive since we still don't know for sure.

I wanted to let it run overnight to see what would happen. Got up this morning to a rebooted computer. Yuck! But then, realized it WAS a Windows update this time!

Will leave it on. I can dream that this Windows update would have fixed the issue.

Do you think that if it were a Windows issue or a driver issue, that a system restore would be any useful?

A System Restore might be useful, if you have a restore point from before the BSOD issue.

If you imaged your SSD, you could do a clean install to that.

A System Restore might be useful, if you have a restore point from before the BSOD issue.
    I guess it won't work then as I found out there is NO system restore before... yesterday.

If I get the W7 to be upgraded to W10, will I have to reinstall my programs?
    You had mentioned previously to install from scratch, that would DEFiNITELY require reinstalling all the programs, right?

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 you will need to reinstall your programs. An "upgrade", if it works properly, would keep your programs and most of your settings.

I'll see what is possible. That is not something I will do. I'll go to the tech store and as I upgrade the computer (Memory and all), I might give in and upgrade to W10, since I know from testing that my program will work (one I was really afraid of losing).

Anyways, so far so good. No reboot in 24 hours, other than that Windows update.

If I knew that the problem is solved, I might hold off on the upgrade, but I still have no proof one way or another since we could not pinpoint a real culprit. *sigh*

If it lasts through the next week, you may be OK.

So far so good. No reboot overnight. No blue screen since 4 days (although 48 hours it was on Linux). First time in a long time.

If it lasts through the next week, you may be OK.
    Unfortunately, i have a very small window of opportunity to bring it to the shop (and that is Monday to Wednesday next week) while I am away for work and can "live without my computer" for a couple of days (and it will save me a lot of time tweaking with something I don't master), while I get an upgrade (not just the Windows but the motherboard, the memory, etc. at the same time).

Well, I was too hopeful. Another BSOD with similar error as before.
    Something is definitely wrong, so now, hoping that the computer upgrade will address that.

Another option would be to do a "repair install" of Win7 rather than going to Win10.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...r-install.html

I so wish I had more time. I have a live webinar to give tomorrow, so I don't have enough time to "mess around" with the "repair install" in case I do mess something up. I am very worried about my inabilities in that area. Unless you can assure me that it is a simple process and hard to "mess up".

Did you look at the link I posted about "repair installs"? You'd have to be the judge if it's simple or not.

Doing an upgrade or a reinstall is a major job, which is why you want to have a backup.

Did you look at the link I posted about "repair installs"? You'd have to be the judge if it's simple or not.
    Yeah, to me it is a big job and possibly bigger than what I can handle.

Since I did get yet another BSOD this morning, that is the thing now. Visit to the shop tomorrow morning!
    Windows will be upgraded. Motherboard will obviously be new. Memory will be upgraded so they will be new.
    Let's hope it will solve the issue.

Will keep you posted either way, later in the week, when I get it back (after a few days out of town).

Well, to update anyone interested, since my computer upgrade (upgraded to Windows 10, using the same drives), everything has worked fine.

Thanks for the update.

Thread Information