Computer randomly restarts - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Computer randomly restarts

I was in the process of creating that Linux Boot Flash drive and it was doing it. I left the computer for 10 minutes or so, and the computer restarted (yeah, another BSOD). How do I know if the process was completed?

You can try booting from the flash drive. If it works, the process likely completed. Or, you can retry the process to create the bootable flash drive.

Ok. Flash Drive is booting into Linux. Anything I should do or try, or just let it sit like that?

Not long to wait. About 30 minutes after, the computer "rebooted". No blue screen. The screen just went black, even though I can see that the computer is still powered (the light is still on). It didn't restart like in the case of those previous BSOD. Is that the normal way a crash happens with Linux?
    Last edited by Cassel; October 1st, 2019 at 06:44 PM.

Linux does not get BSODs like Windows does. Are you sure that it wasn't just the monitor going into power save mode? I assume that you tried moving the mouse and/or typing on the keyboard?

Check the screensaver settings:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...18-4175583681/

Oh.. silly me. My Windows settings were not to go to sleep so I forgot about that possibility, and you are correct. It is not crashed! (told you I knew NOTHING about Linux!)

Not sure if it is a good or a bad thing now I so wish I could figure out the actual problem! But i'll let things go for 24-36 hours now.
    Let's be patient now (said while pacing the floor!)

24 hours. No crash. I'll leave it until tomorrow afternoon. I'll post then for your conclusion or next step.

While it is running, you might try at least some internet surfing to give it some additional work to do. This would also help to eliminate hardware issues as a possible cause of your Windows BSODs. Firefox should be available on your Linux Mint setup.

Taking time to set up a website, so doing some internet work.

Almost 48 hours left with Linux and no crash at all. Will now boot back with Windows.

Any idea what that would mean?

I do plan on bringing the computer for an upgrade, on Monday. Likely will be Windows 10, and more RAM too (in a different tower).

48 hours with no crash would tend to indicate that your hardware is OK, and that the crashes are due to software. It could be a driver or driver update, or a Microsoft "update" that is causing the issue.

If you "upgrade" to Windows 10, that may fix the issue, or it may not. If you do go to Windows 10, I highly recommend going with Windows 10 Pro. Yes, it will cost more, especially if you are now on Windows 7 Home, but it will allow you to have some small control over the Windows Update process.

Links to check out:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/faq-ho...ws-10-updates/

Thanks. I already have Windows 7 Pro.
    I noticed that restarting my computer in Windows gave me some oddities:
    - the clock was changed to a different time zone (UK)
    - some displays (like the language) was in a different place.
    - when I initially started Outlook, I got an error saying that the pst file was currently in use (I had not started anything at that time); another reboot solved that though

Could this have been affected/caused by having used Linux for a while (I had noticed the clock oddity while Linux was active but thought it was just on its own)?

Since it might or might not solve the issue when upgrading to Windows 10, anything else I should check or test so I might fix it before the upgrade? Could it still be something malware related even if Malwarebyte gave it a clear bill of health?

The Linux system should not have altered the clock settings, but it might have. I assume that you have set it back to the correct time now. If you power the system off overnight, and it boots back up with an incorrect time and date, especially if the year is several years ago, the BIOS battery may have failed. If it has, that can cause other issues also of you need non-default memory or other settings. Those in turn can cause BSOD issues.

If you have Windows 7 Pro now, then if you "upgrade", you should get Windows 10 Pro. The first link in post #116 shows how you can still get that for free if you choose to. I would still make an image backup of your Windows 7 C: drive before doing that, just in case. There are free tools for doing this at the links below:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

https://www.provendatarecovery.com/b...for-harddrive/

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fi...cloning-tools/

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-...oning-software

The Linux system should not have altered the clock settings, but it might have. I assume that you have set it back to the correct time now.
    Yes I did, as I could not run CloudBerry for Amazon due to time sync issues.

If you power the system off overnight, and it boots back up with an incorrect time and date, especially if the year is several years ago, the BIOS battery may have failed. If it has, that can cause other issues also of you need non-default memory or other settings.
    Can that battery be checked, somehow?

It is still a puzzle whether an upgrade to W10 will address the issue or not, considering that it has not been yet identified

Can that battery be checked, somehow?
    The power off and reboot is the easy way to check the battery. The hard way is with a battery tester or multi-meter. It is cheaper to just replace it.

There is no guarantee that a Windows 10 "upgrade" will change anything, but there is a good chance. That is why I suggested an image backup, or a clean Windows 10 install to a new hard drive.

Thread Information