image file?

Thread: image file?

image file?

What's the best (simplest, most reliable) way to make a system backup?

I tried Backupper but when I wanted to Restore it said: Image file doesn't exist.
    When I found the image file myself, it said: You should have backed first (when I thought the image was a backup)
    After that it said: You should be running (something) from flash drive.

It just got too stupid. It informed me of all the things I should have done afterwards! It also took 3 hrs to image a disk and then told me there wasn't enough space.

I don't want anything that requires that a Restore is done by the same version as the one that created the image. I might have upgraded since then.

Is there something foolproof, I'm a pretty good fool!

Thanks - rev

3 hours is way too long. I only image the OS and Apps, NOT data. I have separate backups for data.

After that it said: You should be running (something) from flash drive.
    I'm guessing they mean a bootable flash drive. That's pretty standard for any recovery software you'd use.
    I.E. You don't boot from the drive you are restoring.

This guide is a little old, but it goes over the basic ideas. You'd need to look up instructions for whatever app you choose.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-c...-norton-ghost/

>I'm guessing they mean a bootable flash drive.
    I'm guessing that too but I would like to have known that in advance. Thank god (if I wasn't a devout atheist) for system restore.

I'll check your link. Thanks!

I generally use Acronis for my imaging, and I also don't install it. I always run it from the CD. If you are backing up the OS disk, and it has lots of data on it, it can easily take hours, which is why I run it after I am done using the system for the day.

That sounds like a plan. I'll have to read up because I don't have a clue what I'm doing. When you run it at the end of the day, is it updating the changes only or creating a whole new image?

I only create new images, and then only when the OS or software has been updated. For data files, I use a separate backup that only backs up changes.

That's what I'm going to do - even if I have to RTFM!

Thread Information